Raccoons

I free range them during the day. I am rural enough that no one will ask any questions or call someone if they hear gunshots so if it is on my land and I don't want it there it is as good as dead. For the first few seasons we had problems with critters but not as much anymore. We have 20 acres so while some areas are fenced off for pasturage the predators that do get onto the areas where my livestock are have their life expectancy reduced quickly. I prefer geese as an early warning system over dogs. I have seen coyotes bait and kill canines.

Thanks for alll the tips and great suggestions everyone.

And I know that we've moved on now & seem to have resolved it so I won't say too much on it but I do want to say that can we please try not to have any more arguments? It's fine to disagree/have disagreements but I just don't want the thread shut down, it's been helpful to me. All responses.

And on the note of hot wire, it works for some people and it doesn't work for others and that's fine. Doesn't mean it's completely invalid or shouldn't be tried. Besides, most of the problems mentioned can be fixed.

It was a good suggestion, just like all the others, and I may look into it.

That said, I don't think that hot wire should ever be the first or only line of defense.

It should start with good, secure fencing and then that on top.

That's why we're sticking with the chainlink dog kennel instead of building a run for the new coop; my dad thinks it's more secure than just welded wire or hardware cloth.

However, on the new run we do plan on doing the double wire suggestion. We meant to on this run but never got to it.

We bought a 4 foot by 50 foot roll of hardware cloth on Amazon and are going to attach it to the chainlink. We're making a skirt 2 feet up the sides and 2 feet out. Possibly 3 feet up, haven't decided yet. I also plan on putting a proper roof on half or all of the new run and somehow securing the other half. So that will be our primary defense against predators.

Then, in addition, we might try some hot wire strands; my dad's been considering it and he doesn't even know about this thread.

The way I look at it is even if it is ineffective and doesn't work, it can't hurt to try it. The more defenses the better. But if we don't end up trying it, the new coop and run will have much better security anyway.

In addition to that, we also have a 140 pound black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix that does an excellent job of protecting the chickens. I still don't fully trust him free ranging (though my brother's tried it twice when I wasn't here and said he was fine) but he alerts us and we go scare it off or let him out.

Even when there's no active threat, I'd like to think his scent, using the bathroom by them, his barking etc., just his presence, wards off a lot that don't even try coming close.

Shooting or trapping is another great solution and I'm considering that too if these ones come back, which they haven't so far, but unfortunately being in the suburbs and having close neighbors in the back where the girls are, shooting off a gun is not exactly as acceptable or easy as it is out in the country where you and others are. In cases like that, I have to step up my run/coop security, whether that's through better wire, a roof on it, trying hot wire, even just live trapping and calling animal control.

I haven't free ranged in a while because I like to let them out for just a few hours close to bed time and watch them due to the predators making me nervous and the possibility of them going into neighbors property and I just haven't had the time or motivation to do that. But I am going to start letting them out more because they do deserve it.

But sitting out there with a gun ready to shoot also isn't really an option.

What I would like to do is teach the dog how to properly behave with the chickens and then I could let them out together to be able to let the girls out more. He has made great improvements and no longer charges the run and chases, hasn't for a while, so I think he's ready.

Anyway, I kind of got to rambling again, sorry about that, but thanks for all the suggestions and posts.

Seriously, ALL the suggestions were helpful to me. Even the brief argument because it allowed me to see the potential downsides to the hot wire and what might not work or cause it to break or whatever. So thank you.

I am taking all the suggestions into consideration and will hopefully be better securing the new run.

That said, I think there are also likely some steps I can take now to secure the current one better so I'm planning on doing that too.

Thanks again

The dog is a great option. Don't laugh but my best chicken dog is actually a chihuahua :D She is the coon sniffing master, and shes been trained to "herd" the chickens. Dogs really are handy, and a large breed like a Pyrenees can definitely help ward off predators. :)

The dog is a great option. Don't laugh but my best chicken dog is actually a chihuahua :D She is the coon sniffing master, and shes been trained to "herd" the chickens. Dogs really are handy, and a large breed like a Pyrenees can definitely help ward off predators. :)

Omg that is great!! And hey, a dog is a dog :p that is fantastic. I'd love to see a pic of the dog or video of her herding if you have it :D

But yes, dogs are definitely useful particular him. And his bark is loud and intimidating and I'm pretty sure it carries really far but I've never actually tested that haha

Omg that is great!! And hey, a dog is a dog :p that is fantastic. I'd love to see a pic of the dog or video of her herding if you have it :D

But yes, dogs are definitely useful particular him. And his bark is loud and intimidating and I'm pretty sure it carries really far but I've never actually tested that haha

I'll have to do that :D She hasn't mastered not pulling a few tail feathers every once in a while but she does pretty good in spite of birds that don't want to be herded ;)

The dog is a great option. Don't laugh but my best chicken dog is actually a chihuahua
big_smile.png
She is the coon sniffing master, and shes been trained to "herd" the chickens. Dogs really are handy, and a large breed like a Pyrenees can definitely help ward off predators.
smile.png

Oh my gosh...please post a video of that. I'd love to see it.
lau.gif

I've got what I believe to be a Chihuaha Rat Terrier mix. He definitely chased the coon today and sniffed and sniffed then peed in the trail. I wouldn't want him to catch a coon as I think the coon would kill him, but yeah, little doggies can rock.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom