Raccoons

Dom G

Songster
Jan 24, 2023
Strongsville, OH
Anyone know if raccoons can fit through a hole of a chain link fence? Building a run and would save a lot using chain link rather than buying the amount of hardware cloth I will need

@rosemarythyme is right. Although it was a mink, not a raccoon that pulled one of my girls through the fencing, I can assure you that it was horrible way for her to die, and it broke my heart to know it was my fault.

Hardware cloth IS expensive. But, for me, the peace of mind is worth the cost. If you are going to be home and able to keep an eye on your birds, it MIGHT not be essential to have hardware cloth on a run -- as long as you are vigilant and the birds are safely cooped at night or any time you aren't home.

Maybe you can give them a BIG chain link enclosure where they can "free range" with a smaller hardware cloth "tractor" inside for the times when you can't watch them?

I'd also add that while the larger predators can't get through a chain-link fence, it still leaves things open to snakes and rats, both of which will eat eggs and / or feed, and may kill chickens as well. I lost several birds a few years ago to rats that graduated to chicken-killing.

If your run has chain-link or is made with 2'x4' welded wire you need to beef up the lowest 2 feet, and anywhere that's adjacent to where the birds roost day or night, with either hardware cloth or 1/2" x 1/2" welded wire. For my run, I did the walls and roof with 1/2" x 1/2" wire from critterfence. I also made sure to use wood trim to close any gaps bigger than a half inch in the coop walls, door gaps, etc. I've seen hawks try to grab chickens through through big wire gaps, too.

You also want to protect against digging creatures. Either line the area around the bottom run with concrete pavers (I spaced mine a half inch apart to assist in drainage in the run when it rains, and keep the wood from direct ground contact), or bury some wire just below the surface about 12" from the perimeter of the run, securely attached to it.

Back
Top Bottom