Racoons

This may be unpopular, but is killing the coon (by any means necessary) an option? It sure seems it is the only way to keep one from coming back.
As should be evident above. I kill some and repel at least few. Most in reality are repelled. The "by any means" opens up potential of doing it by means deemed cruel or inhumane.

As should be evident above. I kill some and repel at least few. Most in reality are repelled. The "by any means" opens up potential of doing it by means deemed cruel or inhumane.

I was thinking of steel/jaw traps or rat poison which can be effective, but some would prefer to avoid due to its ability to end up reaching unintended animals. I have no qualms with these for rats, but can't bring myself to use them beyond that.

I was thinking of rat poison, which can be effective, but some would prefer to avoid due to its ability to end up reaching unintended animals.
I would restrict use of poisons to indoor situations to avoid non-target kills. That would help control others from being killed by consuming poisoned animals. The poisons also not a pleasant way to go.

I did get a stronger trap. They won't go in. Changed my bait too and they ignore it.

try peanut butter. That's what they used to catch mine that worked the best. They mostly resorted to kill traps because they would get out of the live ones. I had them in my attic so they had to go.

My coop stays open 24/7 these days since I have had it surrounded with electric netting fencing. I have live trapped numerous possums and coons and dispatch them with a .22, so there are plenty of predators in the area, but none have ventured past the electric netting so far.

Start with cage traps (not havaharts) they are one notch above useless, then dp coon traps, then footholds which are buried then snares. You'll get them all if you put in some effort.
Electric wire works too for penned birds.

I am against poison even indoors for rodents... supposedly they start bleeding internally which causes them to seek water (dehydration from bleeding)which causes them to flee outside where other birds & animals then potentially would eat them and also ingest the poison-laden rodent. That is something I am not wanting to enter into the food chain.

In my opinion we as people poison too much of our environment and the creatures we share this world with & then wonder why there seems to be a preponderance of cancer & other diseases in the world... hmmmmm.

I think hunting or relocation are healthier, more humane options. JMHO

try peanut butter. That's what they used to catch mine that worked the best. They mostly resorted to kill traps because they would get out of the live ones. I had them in my attic so they had to go.
I have tried peanut butter. They're attracted but won't go into the trap. I've also tried marshmallows. It worked once... Tuna fish, wet cat food, canned chicken... I've tried a bunch of different baits but the live trap is mostly useless at this point.:barnie

Back
Top Bottom