Rain barrel watering

JacksonPearce

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I've got both my coops hooked up to rainbarrels, and I absolutely LOVE the simplicity of the system. I do worry, however, about what might be filtering into that rain water from the roof-- I have plenty of screens to block out leaves and debris, but nothing is going to stop watered down wild bird droppings from getting into the drinking supply. Is there any sort of additive or dunk that I can drop in there to keep things clean?

A second question-- the vet has recommended I add a probiotic to their diet. I've got probios that I used to add to their water when I was using a regular bucket-watering system, but I can't see how that would work with a rain barrel situation. Has anyone found way to make additives work for a rainbarrel, or should I look into another way of getting a probiotic into their systems?

Why does the vet want you to give them a probiotic? Or is this something that the vet wants you to give them for a long time, like daily vitamins? Are your chickens recovering from an illness or are they sick at this time?

I would just use a waterer with the probiotics for a short term application. Then go back to your rainbarrel system.

If the vet feels that they need a probiotic supplement daily - like people take vitamins, then I would either get a new vet that won't waste your money or gradually replace your weak birds with healthy birds.

In my opinion, a flock chickens with a healthy balanced diet really should not need to take probiotics for the long term - and neither should most people.

What kind of birds are you talking about? - I would be happy if my ducks would drink the clean rain-water with little bird's poop in it… Instead they guzzle down the dirtiest water from holes in the ground they have drilled and pooped into. :sick I assume they would become seriously ill if they would ever drink clean water!

Fresh clean water is necessary for us, our pets including our chickens. I would never fail to offer my chickens and other pets the same water I drink myself. Of course I live on a farm with great well water. My rain water I siphon over to my garden. It's got the bird poop you mentioned. Also bat guano, pollution from the air, fungus and mold and mildew spores from stuff rotting in the gutter. Also certain roofing material leaches deadly chemicals or heavy metals in to the barrel. Rain barrell sometimes gets mosquito larvae in it. Not anything I would force my critters to drink. Vent gleet I understand sometimes is caused by fowled water throwing a hens ph levels off kilter.
Is there some perceived benefit you think your chickens gleen from rain water?

Last edited:
Thanks, all! I didn't get the alerts that this had been answered, so apologies for the late gratitude.

wyoDreamer-- The vet suggested a probiotic through their molt after an illness, but we don't want them on it long term for sure.

50-45-1-- Our coop roof is stainless steel and, thankfully, we don't get too much gunk (if any, really), in the gutters. It's certainly not perfect, but I don't think they're likely to catch anything from the rainwater that they wouldn't get from being outdoor animals eating and scratching from the ground. We haven't had an issue with mosquito larva at all, thankfully! We like the simplicity of the rain barrels since it means we aren't hauling water up the steps to the coop daily, and that the waters aren't getting knocked around or flipped by the hens.

And as long as the rain barrel intake is screened, there shouldn't be any mosquito larvae in there.
If you are concerned about algae growth, you can get barley balls to float in there. The barley will inhibit the growth of algae.

Back
Top Bottom