-Raising Bobwhite Quail-

I cant wait till my babies are old enough. What age do they start laying eggs? Also is it safe to have more then one male in a cage with females? I am new to bobwhites, but have owned coturnix

I cant wait till my babies are old enough. What age do they start laying eggs? Also is it safe to have more then one male in a cage with females? I am new to bobwhites, but have owned coturnix

My understanding is it isn't so much age as it is time of year. As long as they are 24+ weeks old when springtime rolls around, females should start laying when the daylight hours provoke them into a laying season. It seems that most folks reference April-October as the laying months for bobwhites.

Are bobwhites cold hardy?

Again, I haven't raised bobwhites through the dead of winter yet but consider some of the areas that they live naturally i.e. Pennsylvania, Illinois, Nebraska etc. get pretty darn cold. I believe I'm safe to say they are indeed cold hardy. Biggest thing with birds in freezing cold is to keep moisture off them and give them a draft free area to huddle and fluff up.

My understanding is it isn't so much age as it is time of year.  As long as they are 24+ weeks old when springtime rolls around, females should start laying when the daylight hours provoke them into a laying season.  It seems that most folks reference April-October as the laying months for bobwhites.

Again, I haven't raised bobwhites through the dead of winter yet but consider some of the areas that they live naturally  i.e. Pennsylvania, Illinois, Nebraska etc. get pretty darn cold.  I believe I'm safe to say they are indeed cold hardy.  Biggest thing with birds in freezing cold is to keep moisture off them and give them a draft free area to huddle and fluff up.

wow so they dont lay till they are 24 weeks??

wow so they dont lay till they are 24 weeks??

Yeah, about the same as a chicken hen. They aren't similar in anyway - other than stature - to the Coturnix.

My bobwhites are exactly a month old and are about half the size of a Coturnix at that age. They fly 10x better and are smarter.

Back
Top Bottom