Raising chicks in the garage

piyo

Chirping
Feb 9, 2023
I stopped using the heat lamp and my 4-week old chicks now huddle/sleep under the brooder instead. Since there is no more heat lamp, there is no more constant light 24/7, so they now get the natural light that comes through the garage instead. Will this help them get accustomed to the day/night cycles faster for when they are transferred to the outside coop?

My garage becomes pitch black inside once it’s evening. When I go out there, I notice the chicks are all sleeping/huddled under the brooder, so I am wondering if they will actually sleep through the entire night while it’s dark in the garage or will they attempt to wander around blindly looking for food and water? It’s 12 hours worth of darkness during this time. Is that too long for them to be unable to look for food/water?

I stopped using the heat lamp and my 4-week old chicks now huddle/sleep under the brooder instead. Since there is no more heat lamp, there is no more constant light 24/7, so they now get the natural light that comes through the garage instead. Will this help them get accustomed to the day/night cycles faster for when they are transferred to the outside coop?

My garage becomes pitch black inside once it’s evening. When I go out there, I notice the chicks are all sleeping/huddled under the brooder, so I am wondering if they will actually sleep through the entire night while it’s dark in the garage or will they attempt to wander around blindly looking for food and water? It’s 12 hours worth of darkness during this time. Is that too long for them to be unable to look for food/water?
Sleeping under the brooder? Can we see a pic of that?

Sleeping under the brooder? Can we see a pic of that?
It’s one of these things.

1676951930392.jpeg

I also have my brooder in the garage. I didn't use a heat lamp, just the Brinsea heat plate similar to the one you are using. In addition to the daylight, I supplement their light for about 4 hrs in the evening by turning on the garage lights. It gets so dark so early in the winter, so they seem to like the additional light. They are definitely more active and eat and drink more when there is light. I don't know if there is a wrong or right way to do things, but I just go by what they seem to like.

I bought two 3 day old Muscovy Ducklings a year and a half ago. I had them in a big rubber tub in my garage. There was absolutely no light unless someone turned it on to get into the refrigerator. They were out there for about 4 weeks before I moved them outside. I wasn't sure how it would affect them being raised in the dark but they were both perfectly fine. They evidently can see in the dark because they have no problem making noise at 2 am still yet today. The boy was rehomed but my other ducks are all wide awake almost all night long. I think yours will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom