Julielynn810

Songster
Sep 20, 2018
Hi everyone! I just received my 4 welsh harlequin ducklings yesterday from Metzer Farms...but to my surprise, they included a baby chick as well.

1) Can I keep the chick with the ducklings in the brooder?
2) I've read that I'm supposed to supplement the ducklings with niacin, will this hurt the chick?
3) The duck house isn't designed to accommodate a chicken. So do I need to get a separate coop?
4) When they're older and can live outside, will a chicken be ok alone in a separate coop but shared run?

If there's another thread that addresses these concerns, please feel free to point me in that direction. I'm frantically googling "how to raise chickens" over here :hmm

Some have raised chicks and ducks together, but ducklings are very messy and their environment will most likely be too wet for the chick. Ducklings can get warmer quicker and their heat requirements are not as stringent as chicks.
One other thing to consider the chick is most likely a male. As these surprise chicks are generally cockerels.
As they age, they will have different housing needs. Chickens need a roost.
If it happens to be a girl and you happen to get a drake in your duckling group, the drake once older can potentially mate the hen which would be detrimental to the chicken. That's an "if".
If it were me, I would have separate brooders and get a few more chicks so that the chicken can have chicken pals too. Or find an appropriate new home for your chick.

Hi everyone! Thanks for checking in! I was able to find someone to adopt the little guy/gal that has proper chicken housing and is able to keep a rooster if that ends up being the case. I'm a little sad to see the little one go tomorrow, but I think it's the right thing to do. In the meantime, I put a small cardboard box in the brooder and the chick loves to hang out up there :)
IMG_20180922_211847.jpg

Hi everyone! Thanks for checking in! I was able to find someone to adopt the little guy/gal that has proper chicken housing and is able to keep a rooster if that ends up being the case. I'm a little sad to see the little one go tomorrow, but I think it's the right thing to do. In the meantime, I put a small cardboard box in the brooder and the chick loves to hang out up there :) View attachment 1541482
Baby animals are always adorable! Good luck with your ducks and I'm sure the chick will do just fine in its new home. Very cute cardboard roost you made for it! :)

Back
Top Bottom