Raising Geese 101

They are the consistency of duck eggs and the flavor is just slightly different than chicken eggs, to me anyway. I would guess they could be rubbery if overcooked. Supposedly, I have allergies to chicken and duck eggs (according to a blood test), although Iseem to have no problem with my own bird eggs. Maybe these will be tolerated better. Too bad they don't lay like ducks or chickens!

So I have a 3-sided shelter with a roof and my waterfowl still lay in the open in the pen. It is dropping into the teens all of a sudden. I think I'm going to start herding them into the shelter and blocking them in so at least I'LL feel better!

My geese have a perfectly good goose coop with an arctic entryway and a TON of warm straw inside. It has been -15F here for a week, and they sleep outside every night, their choice, and they are perfectly happy!

Will geese eat alfalfa hay in the winter? I'm in the North East, we already have snow on the ground so they can't eat vegetation. I wondered if I bought good quality soft 2nd cutting alfalfa have, would they actually eat it?

Geese prefer grass hay or 'grain' hay over alfalfa. My geese like to eat (and lay on) hay when there is snow on the ground.

So you don't put yours up every night? Look your temp is way too cold for me but we have just had a freeze temp. I put her up each night in her lil house. She hates it and cries too. Sounds sad but I was sure that she would be warmer AND nothing would eat her. Is it ok to leave her out like that? Well it seems like it reading from what you wrote. 40 below ! OMG ! Life below Zero TV show is as close as I'll ever get to that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom