Raising Geese 101

I am also new to raising geese, I got three Grey Africans from a woman who was over run, with the intention of having goose for Christmas. But they are so cool that I would like to let them multiply just a little. My female has been laying eggs, but how do I know if they are fertile? I have never seen my gander mount her. Thanks for your help

Either try incubating them and see if they develop, or crack one open and look for a bullseye.

I loved reading this post, I just brought home my baby geese and they are wonderful but Im worried because my male cries alot when I leave is this normal for them? I want to raise my babies to be apart of my family and I also want them to be very healthy and happy if you have any tips please feel free to send them my way thank you for reading this...

I loved reading this post, I just brought home my baby geese and they are wonderful but Im worried because my male cries alot when I leave is this normal for them? I want to raise my babies to be apart of my family and I also want them to be very healthy and happy if you have any tips please feel free to send them my way thank you for reading this...

Glad you enjoyed it!

As for your question yes that is a normal behavior. Did you get them as day olds? They may have already imprinted on you. In which case you are now "Mommy" and like most creatures when Mommy is away they usually cry for her. As they mature they should stop this habit.

HELLO FELLOW FEATHERHEADS:
Well I now have my geese and I LOVE THEM ALL. Coolest creatures ever. I have an adult 2 yr old male cotton patch, that a dear friend
bun.gif
gave me after it was attacked by younger ganders in her flock. Yea for me, then this same dear friend gave me a female cotton patch that has imprinted on me, at two days old. That was the last day of May, about ten days later, my little male and 2 female toulouse came in the mail. these are pics today. I LOVE MY BABIES
wee.gif
, thanks Heather for getting me started just when I really needed a distraction and something more to love and love me. The female cottonpatch (the largerone) is about three weeks old and the3 little toulouse are about 10 days old.

They're so cute!
love.gif
HELLO FELLOW FEATHERHEADS:
Well I now have my geese and I LOVE THEM ALL. Coolest creatures ever. I have an adult 2 yr old male cotton patch, that a dear friend
bun.gif
gave me after it was attacked by younger ganders in her flock. Yea for me, then this same dear friend gave me a female cotton patch that has imprinted on me, at two days old. That was the last day of May, about ten days later, my little male and 2 female toulouse came in the mail. these are pics today. I LOVE MY BABIES
wee.gif
, thanks Heather for getting me started just when I really needed a distraction and something more to love and love me. The female cottonpatch (the largerone) is about three weeks old and the3 little toulouse are about 10 days old.

My little geese are so loving , they have stop crying as much when Im away and we take walks in the yard when its nice out.My little girl who's 12 loves spending time with them and they seem to be attached to all 3 of us( my mother my daughter and myself) . What habits should I watch out for so they dont get mean with us?

The biggest thing is make sure your affectionate but NOT pushed around. Once they think there the Alpha it's can be a struggle to gain control

Back
Top Bottom