Raising Geese 101

Very normal. My first pair was the exact same way.

Im so happy to hear it , I was starting to worry that she was withdrawing from us and I dont want that thank you soooooo much.
goodpost.gif

i'm so glad this got bumped back up to the top so I had a chance to see it. Great info!
Thank you very much!
Im so happy to hear it , I was starting to worry that she was withdrawing from us and I dont want that thank you soooooo much.
goodpost.gif
No Problem at all. My female warmed up after awhile. I think Ganders just tend to be more out going

We have a large dewlap goose in our community. He is flightless so i guess his wings are clipped. Whomever originally placed him on our lake has long gone so he nests and lives free on a managed pond. He seems to bhave "angel winging" and i am not sure how old he is although he seems old. Very friendly and always begging for food!
Anyway, can someone help me categorize him? Im not sure if it is chinese or african, and i also hate the thought of him being neglected or in need of care in regards to his condition and dont know if it is serious or not.

Cant really tell what kind of goose it is but probably a cross of some sort given the color. Sadly many people get or buy geese and find out they are too much for them to handle and then think, I'll just turn him loose on a pond somewhere(this is illegal most places). This is likley what happend if this guy is so friendly. Geese are NOT by nature friendly enough to come up and take food from someone unless they imprinted on a person at some time usually when they are young and realize this is easier than foraging for food. Sad, just sad. Geese are grazing and foragng birds for the most part, they eat grasses weeds flowers little fishies and bugs pond weeds and grasses etc. Angle wing is typicaly attributed to, too high protien. It can be corrected by taping the wings against the body when young for a couple weeks, but older I dont think thats possible, cause the cartiliage has already developed (the wings have grown that way). Reportedly angle wing is not harmful to the bird and is only painful if they get their wing caught on something. DONT feeds these birds the typical scrap stupid things people feed geese; bread, nuts, cracker, popcorn, let him feed as he should, on the wild on his own, If this is a nice pond he will get plenty of grass and feed naturally. Most thinks people feed geese are either unhealthy or detrimental to their health.

I agree with all the above , he looks from what i can see like a African or mix. If he has been doing good at your pond then he most likely knows what he is doing on the lines of finding food , He might get lonely there without a female but if he is friendly I wouldnt be afraid to give him plenty of affection . My Gander is so sweet and he adores being loved I could sit with him for hours petting him and talking with him, he always has something to say but I just pretend to understand him.... LOL They are so wonderful and I wouldnt trade my little ones for nothing.It's horrible to think that someone would abandon there geese when there are many people who would take them in as there pets. I hope you can enjoy your new friend because they are just wonderful characters to have around.

I was at my vets office today, my little chihuahua has an allergy, accross the street from his office is a beautifully lanscaped city park. All man made of course, but hundreds of people go there with their kids and famlies. There are picnic tables and one area of the pond is sectioned off with a long pier for fishing, no fly reels only regular poles allowed. My vet was asking about my geese and how they were getting along. He was telling me; one of the saddest things he has had to deal with in quite some time was; a chinese gander abandoned on the pond, who swallowed a fishing hook with a long piece of line attached. The park rangers brought the goose in when it was near death and they were able to capture it safely. He did emergency surgery to remove the hook and had the gander in his back yard at his clinic till it was quite healed. He told me how happy he was when a lady (one of his clients) came in and was willing to take this guy home as a forever pet on her ranch locally, I live in a very rural area with lots of farms and horse ranches. After treating my dog he left the room to return quickly with a picture of the gander before and after the surgery. I was so proud of him He really is a great vet, but was sad too. He was telling me how loud the chinese goose typically is when they honk, I alrealy knew this , his point was after the surgery the gander will no longer be able to honk as before, but will live a healthy life. Dr L. tells me the goose can make noice but again will never honk as before. I again was happy to hear this but sad to think of a goose who cant communicate through their own language. I suppose he will learn to communicate in other ways. People can be so cruel without giving it any thought. The angel wing in this goose talked about here' was likley from a lack of knowledge on the part of the owner at a crucial time in its life, as the wings were developing. All fellow "featherheads" here, need to educate others and help these animals when we can.

I was at my vets office today, my little chihuahua has an allergy, accross the street from his office is a beautifully lanscaped city park. All man made of course, but hundreds of people go there with their kids and famlies. There are picnic tables and one area of the pond is sectioned off with a long pier for fishing, no fly reels only regular poles allowed. My vet was asking about my geese and how they were getting along. He was telling me; one of the saddest things he has had to deal with in quite some time was; a chinese gander abandoned on the pond, who swallowed a fishing hook with a long piece of line attached. The park rangers brought the goose in when it was near death and they were able to capture it safely. He did emergency surgery to remove the hook and had the gander in his back yard at his clinic till it was quite healed. He told me how happy he was when a lady (one of his clients) came in and was willing to take this guy home as a forever pet on her ranch locally, I live in a very rural area with lots of farms and horse ranches. After treating my dog he left the room to return quickly with a picture of the gander before and after the surgery. I was so proud of him He really is a great vet, but was sad too. He was telling me how loud the chinese goose typically is when they honk, I alrealy knew this , his point was after the surgery the gander will no longer be able to honk as before, but will live a healthy life. Dr L. tells me the goose can make noice but again will never honk as before. I again was happy to hear this but sad to think of a goose who cant communicate through their own language. I suppose he will learn to communicate in other ways. People can be so cruel without giving it any thought. The angel wing in this goose talked about here' was likley from a lack of knowledge on the part of the owner at a crucial time in its life, as the wings were developing. All fellow "featherheads" here, need to educate others and help these animals when we can.
So glad the vet was able to save the gander and find him a great home... thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom