Raising Geese 101

Geese eat a diet that is 90% grazing grass, 10% commercial feed (higher for those where it snows)

Not all breeds are created equal. Some are very loud, more aggressive ect. Some are calmer and friendlier and somewhat quieter.

I would suggest reading up on breeds and finding out about them before jumping into geese.

We have Sebastopols, Dewlap Toulouse, Production Toulouse, and American. We had Africans and sold the 4 recently to a new home where they will be the only geese.

I will allow our youngest son to help with all of the geese, except the Africans when we had them. They were very in your face, loud and unafraid, They would mock charge and sometimes their charges would be too close. All of our other breeds do very well around him (20 months old).
Thanks for your info!!! Oh, I plan to read as much as I can find. I just like opinions and anecdotes of experienced people also!!

I've bought a few teenage geese before. They always end up less friendly than the others but it's manageable. I've had African and Chinese geese and I definitely agree that they are much more aggressive. Pomeranian Geese my be a good choice for you.

I have been trying to convince my parents to get some geese. I really like the pilgrims or sebastopols. The geese have to be good with children, dogs, cats, horses, and ducks. I would also like a breed that can do well in cold weather. I am just so indecisive!
tongue.png
I think all the breeds are amazing! This post was very informative, thank you sooooooo much for making it! I didn't know there were so many goose breeds!

Pilgrims and sebbies are known to be much more calm than certain other breeds. However due to sebbies's feathers they may not be the best choice for cold weather.

Hi, this may be a silly question but do all goose breeds fly, i think i remember reading that the sebastopol doesn't. we are thinking of adding a goose to the flock but want one that is a good layer that doesn't fly, without having to "make" them not fly, if you understand my meaning as i don't know the correct term. Thanks

I am raising geese for quite a while but I have a question.Until now I raised autosexing geese,but I want to start raising other breeds too.So how can I tell ganders from geese without vent sexing them(I tried this with my autosexing geese,just to see how I will manage with other breeds but with no results so I need other methods).Please help me !

Okay that's good to know! In the winter here it can get to - 15 degrees F! Don't want anything to freeze!
Ah yes with it being that cold I personally wouldn't advise a sebbie.
Hi, this may be a silly question but do all goose breeds fly, i think i remember reading that the sebastopol doesn't. we are thinking of adding a goose to the flock but want one that is a good layer that doesn't fly, without having to "make" them not fly, if you understand my meaning as i don't know the correct term. Thanks
No all domestic geese do not fly. Some of the lighter breeds can sometimes get off the ground for awhile but not like their wild cousins. Also geese are seasonal layers so the perks of eggs would only be temporary.
I am raising geese for quite a while but I have a question.Until now I raised autosexing geese,but I want to start raising other breeds too.So how can I tell ganders from geese without vent sexing them(I tried this with my autosexing geese,just to see how I will manage with other breeds but with no results so I need other methods).Please help me !
In non auto sexing breeds you either have to vent sex them or DNA sex them. You can often tell the difference by their behavior but this is not a reliable way to sex geese.

No all domestic geese do not fly. Some of the lighter breeds can sometimes get off the ground for awhile but not like their wild cousins. Also geese are seasonal layers so the perks of eggs would only be temporary.

Thanks Kevin, good info...

Back
Top Bottom