Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Hey guys, I'm wanting to start raising Guineas I have chickens ducks and pheasants and quail. Are Guineas really noisy all the time are just sometimes? If I let them free range will they come back? I have acres of woods. They eat the same food as chickens right? Any other useful information will be most appreciated thanks in advance !

Guineas really are noisy although they quiet down some once the courting phase is over. They can be trained to return to the coop at night but hens are at extreme risk from predators when they hide a nest and start brooding.

Adult guineas can eat the same food as chickens but keets and juveniles need a much higher protein feed than chicks.

Guineas really are noisy although they quiet down some once the courting phase is over.  They can be trained to return to the coop at night but hens are at extreme risk from predators when they hide a nest and start brooding.

Adult guineas can eat the same food as chickens but keets and juveniles need a much higher protein feed than chicks.
I only want a pair, that's the only con I have about getting them. I'm afraid my neighbors will complain lol

Guineas will roost at home at night, but make sure they are used to roosting at home before you release them. Mke sure there is food available when they do come home. Do not have them share a roost with chickens. They scare chickens quite a lot. Better they have their own home pen and roost. When in breeding condition my male became very aggressive. Had to separate them from the chickens. I am speaking from experience. I just got rid of my pair. She layed over 24 eggs while here and I hear she is still laying at her new home. An egg-laying machine. They love to free-range, but need a secure pen and roosting coop to come home to. When ready to lay they will hide their nests out on the range. I kept mine inside so she layed in a nest I built for her (on the dirt in their coop). I fed them scratch grain and chciken feed, but she was very hungry for calcium. I gave her recycled eggshells from the kitchen. Washed, boiled, dried, and ground up.

Guineas will roost at home at night, but make sure they are used to roosting at home before you release them. Mke sure there is food available when they do come home. Do not have them share a roost with chickens. They scare chickens quite a lot. Better they have their own home pen and roost. When in breeding condition my male became very aggressive. Had to separate them from the chickens. I am speaking from experience. I just got rid of my pair. She layed over 24 eggs while here and I hear she is still laying at her new home. An egg-laying machine. They love to free-range, but need a secure pen and roosting coop to come home to. When ready to lay they will hide their nests out on the range. I kept mine inside so she layed in a nest I built for her (on the dirt in their coop). I fed them scratch grain and chciken feed, but she was very hungry for calcium. I gave her recycled eggshells from the kitchen. Washed, boiled, dried, and ground up.
I've heard you can keep them in the same coop with chickens if the male becomes aggressive I have a Kelso game Stag that will put him in his place. I doubt I'll have a problem since the run is big and they're going to Freerange. I also have a dirt bottom coop hopefully she'll nest they're

I only want a pair, that's the only con I have about getting them. I'm afraid my neighbors will complain lol

That is part of the problem. Guineas are a flock bird and really don't do well in small numbers. The minimum number of guineas recommended by the old timers is 10. When in a large enough flock the guineas tend to use their "evil" behaviors against each other rather than against other poultry. Because you don't want to have a proper amount of guineas, I highly recommend that you forget about getting guineas.

As @perchie.girl says guineas and chickens do not have the same mannerisms. For one thing, guineas are feather pullers and because of this tend to attack from the rear. It does not matter how much bigger the other fowl is, they don't care and they can be relentless.

I have raised guineas with chickens and turkeys and now I keep my guineas separate.

That is part of the problem.  Guineas are a flock bird and really don't do well in small numbers.  The minimum number of guineas recommended by the old timers is 10.  When in a large enough flock the guineas tend to use their "evil" behaviors against each other rather than against other poultry.  Because you don't want to have a proper amount of guineas, I highly recommend that you forget about getting guineas.

As @perchie.girl
says guineas and chickens do not have the same mannerisms.  For one thing, guineas are feather pullers and because of this tend to attack from the rear.  It does not matter how much bigger the other fowl is, they don't care and they can be relentless.

I have raised guineas with chickens and turkeys and now I keep my guineas separate.
I've seen many videos on YouTube of them being together and just a pair. And I also know people who only keep them in pairs and they're just fine. I might not get them just because the noise they make.
Thanks anyways guys

I've heard you can keep them in the same coop with chickens if the male becomes aggressive I have a Kelso game Stag that will put him in his place. I doubt I'll have a problem since the run is big and they're going to Freerange. I also have a dirt bottom coop hopefully she'll nest they're

My guineas are in with my ducks and chickens, including bantams.

Quote:
I keep around 20. The boys do harass the chickens at the large feeders. They do not want anything near if the hens are eating. Summer months I have who knows tons of them running around! A large guinea flock is a good deterrent and protection for hawk and a fantastic alarm for other predators. Main thing is to have several feeding stations if they free range, or a separate coop if you confine.
The cocks are very protective of the hens. They are fearless and will attack a tom turkey.

Back
Top Bottom