Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
How old? Will the extra calcium affect them? I wondered because if they are seasonal layers, why would they need layer all the time?

I mix for my bantams because 9 out of the 14 are boys and the extra calcium is not good for their kidneys. Keets are not out yet with everyone else. I'm really hoping we can get them coop trained.

Mine are now 16 weeks old. I worked for a vet that practices avian medicine as well as livestock - he's the one that said plain layer ration is fine for guineas, because most of their diet will actually come from ranging on plants, bugs, etc - the feed is actually just a backup (he used the term "supplement" as he knows all our birds range on the yard and garden).

We have 10 guineas that we raised last year. Recently introduced 22 of their offspring to them. It's so fun to see the males interacting w/the babies. They have taken them "under their wings" and are showing them the ropes. So cute!!! Is this typical behavior for the males? Of the 10 adults, 9 are males and 1 female. The female is currently sitting on 26 eggs :) She didn't seem to want to have much to do w/her offspring when they were able to free range.

Hello Guinea experts! New Guinea mom here. Quick question for ya....I bought 5 Guinea meets this spring and one of them just isn't growing. It eats and drinks fine. It's feathers don't look as nice as the others and its about half the size. Other than its runty size it's not showing any signs of parasites or illness. Any ideas?

Hello Guinea experts! New Guinea mom here. Quick question for ya....I bought 5 Guinea meets this spring and one of them just isn't growing. It eats and drinks fine. It's feathers don't look as nice as the others and its about half the size. Other than its runty size it's not showing any signs of parasites or illness. Any ideas?
It's most likely a runt, and may be experiencing failure to thrive. If you can sneak it some extra protein it might catch up to the others... but it may have a congenital defect (of the heart or lungs, etc) and not live very long. Adding an extra waterer and feeder and supplementing with poultry or livestock vitamins may help ensure that it gets enough nutrition and stays hydrated, if the others might possibly be crowding it out from getting what it needs. Runts are fairly common tho, with all breeds of poultry.

Last edited:
Here is a strange question: I started with 9 guineas from babies this May. They are thriving and doing very well, but when I open their house to allow them to free range, either they refuse to leave their coop OR they spend most of the day roosting in a tree!

They seem VERY confused about entering or exiting their house, I usually shoo them out of the coop in the morning and shoo them back in at night. At night, they scream and cry until I feed them their game bird feed, despite being out all day in the woods with TONS of ticks and bugs.

They are almost 4 months old now and basically full grown. They have been able to free range since they were a month old. I do not see them foraging, in fact, they seem addicted to their game bird feed. I have not seen them eat greens either.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do to get them to foraging on their own? I do not want to stop feeding them in case they starve, some of the guineas seem a little more stupid than others...

Please help! Love my guineas, they are so cute roosting in trees, but I want them eating bugs and eating less game bird feed!
Many thanks in advance-
Amy
PS I have a chicken coop they used to reside in (like a brooder house) when they were babies. I am raising chickens in there now, but the guineas also have not ventured near the coop or visited the neighboring chickens. I heard they will flock around your chickens and hang out with them in the yard.....so far, they have no interest except roosting in trees or taking a nap in the blackberry bushes!

I'm about to move into homesteading. This thread has been super helpful in making the decision about getting guineas. Thanks for all the great info!

I have nine guineas and i feed them weeds and grass and hay they also love to eat fresh fruit and veggies and when i feed them that stuff a 40 pound bag of chicken scratch will last about two weeks

Back
Top Bottom