Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
They really are. Thank you so my Stark for your support and encouragement. I will in no way think you were being sarcastic!!! LOL

big_smile.png

Good luck!!
Ours wander, to my mom's, my sisters, each about 100 yards as the crow flies, as well as around two pastures and sometimes the camp nearby. They always come back to be fed and put to bed in the evening :). Yes put to bed. They don't go in on their own. They come to the front yard and yell at us to put them to bed. We love t
Too funny!Our keets parents used to stand outside my sliding glass door and knock with theier beaks. When that failed to get a treat,they would stand on the porch rail and scream in the window. Not to be ignored.

oh, and they hatched Aug. 11th....so they are only about 8 weeks old...seems like so much longer!
oooh. They're still babies. Are you still going to let them loose? I have two 3 month old guineas that I'm going to start letting out loose - they were raised inside for the most part and now go out during the day in a pen. The adults that are free range have become pretty familiar with them. I also have 3 that are only about 2 or 3 weeks old that aren't going anywhere any time soon :D
Of course I don't know what kind of climate you live in. I'm up North and we have cold nights already. Especially this morning - there is no denying winter is coming :(

Too funny!Our keets parents used to stand outside my sliding glass door and knock with theier beaks. When that failed to get a treat,they would stand on the porch rail and scream in the window. Not to be ignored.
Ours have done the knocking thing! And you're right about the window!! If they stand on the railing they can see you walk by the big window in the living room which gets them yelling louder! Like, "we see you!!! now get your butt out here!". Guineas are just so cool!
ya.gif

I let mine outside at 12 weeks. I was told that before that they don't have a great internal temperature regulation. Of course, it was cold here then, so I was more worried. If it was during a season when it was actually WARM I would be happy to let them out as soon as they were feathered I think!

oh heck no! I like to think I am not that controlling of a mommy but those little mutts are staying right where they are until they are drinking age...

oh heck no! I like to think I am not that controlling of a mommy but those little mutts are staying right where they are until they are drinking age...
lau.gif

My sis says we enable our birds. She and I are always worried it's too cold or they're too little or some other reason we can come up with so they aren't ready!!
I'm going to start using the drinking age thing!

Back
Top Bottom