Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Lefty is still hobbling around. He is very very fast on one leg! It's amazing to see how the other guineas watch out for him and protect him. Especially, since guineas lack any sense of the nurturing gene!!

Meanwhile, we just found another nest of eggs and right before Hermine comes through! Since the last nest was flooded, we're not so sure this one will make it either!

My aunt lost most of her flock a few months back. I tried hatching out a stash of eggs that we found, but they were too old.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have a question... How do I get my Guineas to free range... I think I broke mine... They refuse to leave the run! I was hoping they would fly out eventually but nope! They fly everywhere But out of the run! When they get out they pace the fence till I chase them back in! At night they roost way up in a tree till we come out. Then they fly down and go to the coop to get closed in. Anyways... I was just wondering how to fix them
1f602.png
1f602.png

So I have a question... How do I get my Guineas to free range... I think I broke mine... They refuse to leave the run! I was hoping they would fly out eventually but nope! They fly everywhere But out of the run! When they get out they pace the fence till I chase them back in! At night they roost way up in a tree till we come out. Then they fly down and go to the coop to get closed in. Anyways... I was just wondering how to fix them
1f602.png
1f602.png

They will go out further when they get older. Yours are still babies. Give them time and they will be roosting on the garage and your Grandpa's house.

If there is one left inside they will pace along the fence looking to be with the one too dumb to go outside. While the ones inside pace the fence trying to get outside.

One of the first things one must know about Guineas, besides there tendency to rob, rape and pillage, is they are not too smart...

They will go out further when they get older. Yours are still babies. Give them time and they will be roosting on the garage and your Grandpa's house.

If there is one left inside they will pace along the fence looking to be with the one too dumb to go outside. While the ones inside pace the fence trying to get outside.

One of the first things one must know about Guineas, besides there tendency to rob, rape  and pillage, is they are not too smart...

This is good to know! We really hope they sleep in the rafters of the hay shed but idk if they will figure it out! I suppose since we want them in a building they will avoid that one and go sleep in a tree instead!

1f602.png
1f602.png

How old are your Guineas? How long have you had them and how long have you been trying to get them to free range? If they are young and/or new to their surroundings then they may need some time to mature and adjust. I would be patient and not force them too much, as they just turn to crazed lunatics when forced to do something and won't do what they are supposed to until they are good and ready! When I first started my flock and my Guineas were young, they were scared of everything and very reluctant to go anywhere new. In fact, for the first couple of weeks, I had to force them to go outside, and when they did, they would just hide in the tall grass the whole time and wouldn't even eat bugs...I thought I was raising a bunch of vegetarian Guineas! Over time, though, they became much less freaky and now are normal free range Guineas (if you can consider any of them to be normal).

One of the first things one must know about Guineas, besides there tendency to rob, rape  and pillage, is they are not too smart...

Funny, but so true.... especially the part about the ones outside pacing the fence trying to get in with the ones inside, while those inside are trying to get to the ones outside. In fact, I probably wouldn't believe that they do that kind of crazy stuff if I didn't see my Guineas do it every single day!

Wanted to update everyone that we rehomed our 3 male guineas, and kept the 3 females. The ladies don't even seem to notice at all. There is no more aggression towards the rooster they bloodied. The Guineas were raised from a day old with Bielefelder pullets, and have always roosted with the chickens. The guinea girls just follow my largest rooster as they always have. I'm happy there is peace because I really do love having the guineas.

Back
Top Bottom