Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
I'm new to raising rabbits for meat, and I have a quick question I'm hoping someone can address:

I have a rabbit doe who gave birth to 9 kits on Wednesday night or early Thursday morning. Unfortunately, she lost them all. I know that some mammalian mothers including humans can go on to have some adverse health effects when something like this happens, due to excess production of milk that has nowhere to go. Should I be concerned about the mother's lactation health? Is there anything I should be doing to help her recover, or to discourage milk production?

For what it's worth, I don't believe the kits' deaths were the mother's fault... there was enormous police activity (drug raid?) next door that night, just across the fence from her hutch, and I suspect the lights and noise frightened her so much that she lost her mothering wits. And, of course, it was also one of the coldest nights we've had this winter. Only a few of the kits were moving when I found them, and they passed within a few hours despite my effort to warm them.

I'm new to raising rabbits for meat, and I have a quick question I'm hoping someone can address:

I have a rabbit doe who gave birth to 9 kits on Wednesday night or early Thursday morning. Unfortunately, she lost them all. I know that some mammalian mothers including humans can go on to have some adverse health effects when something like this happens, due to excess production of milk that has nowhere to go. Should I be concerned about the mother's lactation health? Is there anything I should be doing to help her recover, or to discourage milk production?

For what it's worth, I don't believe the kits' deaths were the mother's fault... there was enormous police activity (drug raid?) next door that night, just across the fence from her hutch, and I suspect the lights and noise frightened her so much that she lost her mothering wits. And, of course, it was also one of the coldest nights we've had this winter. Only a few of the kits were moving when I found them, and they passed within a few hours despite my effort to warm them.

I recently had a first time doe that lost all of her kits. She dried up on her own. I kept checking her and rubbing her belly to make sure for infection but none happened. I would just keep an eye on her she should dry up fine.

I had 2 does that kindled over the weekend. One doe had 9 and when I went to do a check on them today I do believe I seen a broken blue and a solid blue! So excited! My other doe had 8 kits with 4 broken blacks and 4 blacks

Ok had to edit cause it put a pic that was not even mine in my caption! Never had that happen before!

Last edited:
had 11 babies born from 2 different moms 2 died n the other mom quite feeding her 7 so I put them with my female that only had 2 babies n she took to them like her own feeding all 9 babies 8 black 1 Gray baby

Here is a question can any one answer this
I have a large rabbit she gave birth to 2 kits last night she still looked big and fat .
I knew she had to have more than what did had. I thought she might of ate some at birth and that's why she was still fat looking.
well the next day she had 7 more why would she have babies 24 hours later.
never seen that before . Did that ever happen to any one else.

@chiklee , Not sure what would cause that... My rabbit had hers spaced apart too. I think it is just nature. We just don't get the opportunity to watch rabbits birthing very often. Do you know what breed she is? She looks like mine and I have no idea what breed they are.

Here is a question can any one answer this
I have a large rabbit she gave birth to 2 kits last night she still looked big and fat .
I knew she had to have more than what did had. I thought she might of ate some at birth and that's why she was still fat looking.
well the next day she had 7 more why would she have babies 24 hours later.
never seen that before . Did that ever happen to any one else.
There have been human twins documented to have been born days apart. Nature sure is interesting. One of my does will be giving my first litter of babies any day now. (my first, not hers lol)

Back
Top Bottom