Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
just came across this thread and wondering are meat rabbits worth it? i don't plan on breeding them (maybe buying 5 or 6 to butcher), just for a special treat (as my grandma loves rabbit) its not the killing part the bugs me or worry's(i love hunting me some rabbits). me its all the time, effort and money. is it worth it? i enjoy eating rabbit (well wild rabbit).
Here is a web site that directs you to rabbit buyers ,,, if I read the page correctly Pel-Freez pays $1.67 a pound for your rabbit ,,, Craig's List ads for rabbit meat processed $5-$7 a pound

https://www.arba.net/processors.htm

How much are your "fixed costs"? cages, barn, land,

How much will your variable cost be? feed, water

The youngest most breeders will sell is about 2 months, which is fryer age, so you could butcher them around the same time you get them, Roaster age is 10 months, or when the rabbit reaches maturity. These are less economical to raise, but you get a bigger amount of meat.

Mine weaned themselves at 4 weeks :idunno  They're SO chubby now... 
You have some precocious ones! My Silver Fox kits were weaned by 6 weeks old (and never really harassed the doe) but a few of the New Zealand kits are still tying to get extra meals from mom at almost 8 weeks old.
1f644.png

Quote: It has often struck me as ironic that a lot of those processors rate their demand as much better than their supply . . . when you factor in all the expenses involved in producing that 5 pound fryer, is it worth while to grow it up, load it up and deliver it to the processor for $5.50? Apparently, there aren't a lot of people who think so.

You have some precocious ones! My Silver Fox kits were weaned by 6 weeks old (and never really harassed the doe) but a few of the New Zealand kits are still tying to get extra meals from mom at almost 8 weeks old.
1f644.png
They are! I had no idea they would be so early
lol.png
Silly babies! My doe had 2 litters in 2 months time... Maybe THAT'S why they weaned so early?

Back
Top Bottom