Raising Meat Rabbits

Cool! Are they purebreds? What type of chinchilla? Have you ever had a problem with rabbits breeding through the wire, since they are so close together? Your arrangement sounds like it works pretty well.

Yes, they're purebreds. Standard Chinchillas. I've never had any issues with breeding through the pens. I don't think it'd be possible. They're welded wire, reinforced with chicken wire so that the kits don't shove through while they're still young. Physically, I don't think they could manage it, though it'd be interesting to see them try. Haha.

Yes, they're purebreds. Standard Chinchillas. I've never had any issues with breeding through the pens. I don't think it'd be possible. They're welded wire, reinforced with chicken wire so that the kits don't shove through while they're still young. Physically, I don't think they could manage it, though it'd be interesting to see them try. Haha.
Nice. Standard chinchillas are great. I like their smaller size, considering the other two varieties are so big. I personally haven't had issues with breeding through wire, either, but i know a few people who have had problems with it.

Nice! The eating kits thing is a bit weird. What else do you feed your does with kits besides the supplements? She may not be getting enough protein, and eating the kits to make up for it.

I feed pellets, and lot's of veggies. I keep the feeders full so I don't measure out small amounts they eat what they want.

I feed pellets, and lot's of veggies. I keep the feeders full so I don't measure out small amounts they eat what they want.
Ok. Be careful not to give the kits veggies until they are 5 months old. It causes problems in the digestive tract. I almost lost a couple rabbits because i fed them veggies too early. Free feeding is a great idea for lactating dams, and in a few cases, pregnant does. But too much extra fat can complicate kindling.

Ok. Be careful not to give the kits veggies until they are 5 months old. It causes problems in the digestive tract. I almost lost a couple rabbits because i fed them veggies too early. Free feeding is a great idea for lactating dams, and in a few cases, pregnant does. But too much extra fat can complicate kindling.
x2 on this.

Hey y'all! I see no ones really posted in here for a while but thought I'd give it a shot; does anyone here have any rabbits for sale? I live in Oklahoma and the closer the better but I am willing to pick them up. Prefer in state but we'll see how far away you are. I've checked some local Craigslist ads and all I've seen are those little dwarf rabbits so thought I'd give this a try. Any questions just shoot me a message. I'm specifically looking for Americans or silver foxes and other such Slow Ark livestock breeds but I'll probably take anything given the right price and size. Thank you!

Wow June, that was so nice of you look all those rabbit ads up for the poster !that was sweet.
I'm really looking forward to getting my meat chickens this August.
we're going to be bringing meat rabbits. I just love eating rabbit. it's so delicious. my mom used to make "Maryland rabbit," for us when we were kids. it was baked rabbit in a cream gravy . was so good. can't afford rabbit anymore so we're going to breed our own.
Best ,
Karen

Hubby has raised rabbits before and processed them but I never have . I have this book called," raising rabbits the modern way". is that a good novice book for me? I want to learn too,even though hubby already knows how to raise rabbits. any suggestions?
As I understand it, my rabbits will be a New Zealand and Florida White mix specially bred for meat.
Thanks,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom