Raising meaties without a tractor...

I am appalled at how some of my friends raise their cornish x birds annually - I am very tempted to ask why they do not just make them into battery hens in little boxes or simply go and collect a bunch of birds from an intensive commercial growing factory then butcher and eat them... why pretend to raise something differently to BigAg when you're not?
These 'family-raised' birds get 1/5 the space of their layer birds, zero stimulation, fed a diet to induce meat growth but poor bone and organ development, etc and then the birds are called disgusting and the owners won't look at them for the last 2 weeks of their miserable lives.

This I agree with 100%. I refuse to even touch a Cornish X for this very reason. The breed itself is nothing short of a frankenchicken to begin with after all the cross breeding and genetic modification we have done to them as a whole. I want nothing more than to see BigAg companies go under because they are nothing but abusers and torturers, I have no desire to replace one great evil with a smaller scale but essentially identical system. If you think that raising anything using the methods MasAhora describes is at all justifiable you do not deserve to be in charge of a latrine detail let alone being in charge of something's life and upbringing. For shame!

Back
Top Bottom