Raising our New Zealand Meat Rabbits *Start to finish - Birth to processing* Possible Graphic pics*

Looks like doe #2 is in labor. Today is day 28 so I put the nest box in. She didn't even give me time to put all the hay in her cage before she started going to work building. I left for a little bit and my husband said she had already pulled fur. She hasn't been eating much in the past day or so - everything else appears normal. She has very rapid breathing and is just laying on her tile in the cage.
fl.gif

Any news?

Thanks for checking. Nothing yet. I thought for sure we would have kits overnight. Maybe she was just panting after all her nest building. It's a great nest and already lined with fur. She's not eating much so I'm assuming any day, if rabbit pregnancy is anything like people pregnancy. She will eat hay & nibble on black oil sun flower seeds mixed with some oats. She just not going crazy over her pellets. She's still enjoying being petted as well. Our other doe had the kits as soon as she pulled the fur. I guess this one is just more of a planner.
big_smile.png
Will keep you posted.

Thanks for checking. Nothing yet. I thought for sure we would have kits overnight. Maybe she was just panting after all her nest building. It's a great nest and already lined with fur. She's not eating much so I'm assuming any day, if rabbit pregnancy is anything like people pregnancy. She will eat hay & nibble on black oil sun flower seeds mixed with some oats. She just not going crazy over her pellets. She's still enjoying being petted as well. Our other doe had the kits as soon as she pulled the fur. I guess this one is just more of a planner.
big_smile.png
Will keep you posted.

Oh I know my one doe pulls fur right before she kindles. one takes EVERYTHING out of the nest box and puts it back in with fur pulling usually 2 days before kindling. my first time mommy just 3 weeks ago pulled the day before. They are a mystery! and yes keep us posted! praying for little ones!
fl.gif

Today is day 31. Hoping for a nice litter in the morning.

question. I usually go check on the prego bunny first. Then over to the others. Is it my imagination or is the mom with 6 week olds able to smell the prego bunny on me? She either retreats or stomps at me. The buck has gotten much more friendly with me - I'm assuming it's because he can smell his "girlfriend" on my hands. I still can't pet him, (he runs away) but he will come to me and smell my hand and rub up against it and give an occasional friendly nip or lick. I'm thinking he's sizing me up to be his next conquest
lau.gif

Today is day 31.  Hoping for a nice litter in the morning.  

question.  I usually go check on the prego bunny first.  Then over to the others.  Is it my imagination or is the mom with 6 week olds able to smell the prego bunny on me?  She either retreats or stomps at me.  The buck has gotten much more friendly with me - I'm assuming it's because he can smell his "girlfriend" on my hands.  I still can't pet him, (he runs away) but he will come to me and smell my hand and rub up against it and give an occasional friendly nip or lick.  I'm thinking he's sizing me up to be his next conquest :lau   

I don't know about that I have always had more than one doe kindle at the same time so I guess they always smell others on me lol. I would look at the mommy first and see if she does the same thing. I also have a buck that kind of shys away but has been getting better! My other buck is a little snuggle bug! I love him so much!

Babies arrived!! I saw the mound (even more) of fur in the nest box this morning before the sun was up. I checked on them when I got home. She delivered 5 but one was dead. I was surprised with such a small litter but I am happy for it. The remaining 4 look nice and healthy. I couldn't see anything particularly wrong with the dead one. Only that it appeared bruised around the neck (like where blood coagulated) and it was wrinkled. The 4 live ones were nestled together all the way in the back of the nest box and the dead one was towards the middle of the box. After I cleaned up some of the mess left in the cage, the momma snuck passed me and was running all around our yard. She was panting so hard when I finally caught her. I think her exercise caught up with her. I couldn't move like she did after giving birth. Will post some photos as soon as I can tell what's going on with my computer. When I try to upload pix, only a certain group of photos show up to select from. I'm always learning something new. I love it. Thanks for sharing the adventure with me!!!

Babies arrived!!  I saw the mound (even more) of fur in the nest box this morning before the sun was up.  I checked on them when I got home.  She delivered 5 but one was dead.  I was surprised with such a small litter but I am happy for it.  The remaining 4 look nice and healthy.  I couldn't see anything particularly wrong with the dead one.  Only that it appeared bruised around the neck (like where blood coagulated) and it was wrinkled.  The 4 live ones were nestled together all the way in the back of the nest box and the dead one was towards the middle of the box. After I cleaned up some of the mess left in the cage, the momma snuck passed me and was running all around our yard.  She was panting so hard when I finally caught her.  I think her exercise caught up with her.  I couldn't move like she did after giving birth.  Will post some photos as soon as I can tell what's going on with my computer.  When I try to upload pix, only a certain group of photos show up to select from.  I'm always learning something new.  I love it.  Thanks for sharing the adventure with me!!!

Yay! So sorry for the single loss. My one doe only ever has 3 or 4 kits every time. Hopefully yours has a bigger one next time :fl. It is always exciting to have new babies!

I was taught another way how to post photos so here we are. Two are grey in color (looks like they will have some white patches) one is brown in color and one is darker still. Very different colors and colorations than the previous batch we had. So interesting to witness what is created! I'm always amazed at the miracle of life whether human, animal or even in the garden!

Question: mom bunny seems to be leaving a lot of bunny pellets in the nest box. I'm taking them out on a daily basis. She doesn't seem to be urinating in the box. Is it ok to just be removing the pellets or should I be changing out the contents of the box? I figure in nature, there wouldn't be anyone to clean out the burrow so ...
hu.gif

Last edited:
Question!!! My doe just had kits today, we have a major storm with way below freezing temps, she did pull fur but it doesn't seem like enough. I moved her entire setup to the garage and she is now protected from the uber cold and wind. What can I do to help keep the babies warm, total of 6 all are fat and happy but I really feel like they need more coverage for warmth? The fur she did pull is spread around and sparingly covering the babies. I will post a pic shortly, I did put a light about 30in above the nest box. I should add, we were NOT expecting kits, I was given this bunny about three weeks ago with no knowledge of her possibly being pregnant. I do think she is a 1st timer, as are we, never had kits before!

I checked earlier for dead kits and cleaned up a bit of blood left over from the birth, here are some photos.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've done a great job. I'm not far ahead of you - we had our first batch 7 weeks ago and another batch just a few days ago. It depends on your purpose for raising them and how much intervention you want to do. I have read many forums from one end of the spectrum to the other. My personal approach is to do what I can to be a responsible breeder. However, I am not taking any special measures. I want to raise a hardy breed. In The pictures of the kits, they look very healthy. If you think they need more fur, you can actually pull fur from the doe around her neck area especially if she has a dewlap under her chin. That's where they naturally pull from. I've heard this does not hurt the doe after giving birth. Certain hormones are released. It's natures way of her to make a warm nest. I accidentally ended up with a handful of fur when I attempted to lift my doe out of the cage by grabbing her behind her neck to lift her out of the cage. She wiggled and The fur just came out in my hand. I was shocked! You may have already done this, but it appears there is still blood on the hay/straw. I would make sure to take any of the blood or dirty hay out of the nest. Hoping this helps to make you feel more secure. Please read this forum and you will learn lots. Just wanted to give you a vote of confidence. I also watched lots of you tube videos. Best of luck to you and yours.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom