raising pinkies

colowyo0809

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Dacono, CO
So, I was cleaning out the coop today and came across a mouse nest. there were several rather young mice in it so I did what anyone would do. I picked up the lot of em and tossed em out the door
big_smile.png
The chickens went crazy and started fighting over the young mice. So, it got me thinking. In terms of winter at least, would it be a bad thing to raise mice to feed the young to the birds, kinda like if you have a snake? or would that me too much protein for the birds?

*sigh* well, maybe in the morning
smile.png

One of the side benefits of this is that you could sell the extras to area pet stores for their snakes and such
smile.png

"meat" is not all that high in protein. Lots of water.. I believe meat is around 25% protein. I would have no worries about too much protein..

That is about where my advice ends. My birds gobbles them up too when they find them. A chicken on a quality range is mostly eating little "meaty" things along with some grass shoots.. Lots and lots of protein..

be well
ON

Rats are easier to breed, they bite less too. They can live on dog food or rat chow from the farm store.

Quote:
I agree 100% on this one. From experience, I would much rather raise rats than mice. They don't smell near as bad either.

Back
Top Bottom