Raising poults. Beginner seeks advice.

We only use a tablespoon to a gallon of water once a week in winter to boost immune systems. By I won't use it on these guys. Also soak feet once every couple of weeks to prevent mites and such. Seems to work well.... Or we are just fortunate in that department....?

What are the first distinctive traits I can look for between a Tom and hen?

I am not convinced of all the claims about how good ACV is. I do know that adding ACV to the water during high temperatures is bad for any kind of poultry. I do not add ACV for any of my poultry when my findings were exactly the opposite of many of the claims during a test run I did.

What’s ACV?

We only use a tablespoon to a gallon of water once a week in winter to boost immune systems. By I won't use it on these guys. Also soak feet once every couple of weeks to prevent mites and such. Seems to work well.... Or we are just fortunate in that department....?

What are the first distinctive traits I can look for between a Tom and hen?
Toms
Snood grows larger and capable of swelling , lengthening and turns deep red when aroused. Snood can retract into a cone shape.
Caruncles get bigger.
Head becomes bald other than some fine hairs.
In dark colored varieties the mature breast feathers will have a dark colored lower edge. Royal Palm males normally develop a black lower edge color on their breast feathers.
Legs are heavier than hens.
Body gets bigger than same age hens.

Hens
Snood retains horizontal "J" shape. It may enlarge slightly but even in mature hens with over sized snoods won't expand beyond the length of the beak. When retracted normally returns to horizontal "J" shape.
Caruncles are smaller than those of a male.
"Mohawk" develops. Feathers up the back of the neck and on to the top of the head. Some have more feathers there than others.
In dark colored varieties the mature breast feathers have a light colored edge.
Legs are more slender.
Body size tends to be smaller than same age male.

I "planted" a dead Russian Olive and added support posts for the 4" diameter corral poles that are set at different heights and sort of "stair stepped".
full
I was wondering how the bird netting did in the snow.. figured it would collapse from the weight.... looks like not

I was wondering how the bird netting did in the snow.. figured it would collapse from the weight.... looks like not
Most of the winter it is fine but the first fall snows and the late spring snows that are really heavy and wet can be a problem. I take a long board (1"x6") and knock the snow off (yes, I get covered in snow) before it gets to sagging too bad. As I recall, that was what I did immediately after taking this photo.

Back
Top Bottom