Raising Rabbits

Which is the best meat breed overall?

• New Zealand White

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zealand Red

• New Zealand Black

• New Zealand Crosses (leave your comments below)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Californian

• Californian Crosses (tell us what it is below)

• Rexes or there crosses (tell us what they are crossed with below)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Flemish Giant

• Flemish Cross (tell us what it is crossed with below)

• Other (please specify below)

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lloydc

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 7, 2015
Just thought I'd share some stuff that I have found that maybe helpful to new Breeders:
1. Breeding and Genetics- The most you want of Flemish Giant blood in your rabbits is 25% as it will affect your Meat to Bone Ratios. The main things that a meat breeder should breed for are motherly instinct, good type (MtoB Ratios etc.) calm rabbits that are not aggressive and large viable litters.
2. Feeding-A rabbit may need less food than a meat rabbit to get to eg. the 8 week mark but if it goes much past that it ends up needing more in the long run.
3. Meat to Bone Ratios- All breeders with meat animals as there primary objective in mind that are selling stock should be trying to breed for the best Ratios.
4. Cages and Hutches- Metal is best but it costs more usually.
Questions I've got:
1. Does a well built hutch cost more than a well built cage and by how much?
2. Can you state you favourite meat breeds and why they are your favourite?
3.If it is a "mutt" then what is the lineage or breeds that it has in it and the percentages?
4. Please leave any tips that you have found through reading or years of breeding rabbits.
Feel free to contradict any of this if you feel that you are right but most of all leave your experience.

Just thought I'd share some stuff that I have found that maybe helpful to new Breeders:
1. Breeding and Genetics- The most you want of Flemish Giant blood in your rabbits is 25% as it will affect your Meat to Bone Ratios. The main things that a meat breeder should breed for are motherly instinct, good type (MtoB Ratios etc.) calm rabbits that are not aggressive and large viable litters.
2. Feeding-A rabbit may need less food than a meat rabbit to get to eg. the 8 week mark but if it goes much past that it ends up needing more in the long run.
3. Meat to Bone Ratios- All breeders with meat animals as there primary objective in mind that are selling stock should be trying to breed for the best Ratios.
4. Cages and Hutches- Metal is best but it costs more usually.
Questions I've got:
1. Does a well built hutch cost more than a well built cage and by how much?
2. Can you state you favourite meat breeds and why they are your favourite?
3.If it is a "mutt" then what is the lineage or breeds that it has in it and the percentages?
4. Please leave any tips that you have found through reading or years of breeding rabbits.
Feel free to contradict any of this if you feel that you are right but most of all leave your experience.

Welcome to BYC
yippiechickie.gif

I just started raising rabbits for food a couple months ago. We have 4 and are getting 2 more soon. They are all related though, so I have to eliminate the bucks and find a new buck from another bloodline. So, I am not going to be much help on the questions you have.

I think a well built hutch would cost less than a cage. How much would depend on what you have to work with and what the hutch design is.

Good luck with yours. How many do you have?

Hi and welcome to BYC! I raise Rex myself, and I am a bit partial to them. I get plenty of meat, small bones, and a great personality on my breeders. My Rex are like puppies and will run to the front of the cage for scratches and "bunny kisses". I've raised New Zealand and Satin before as well, you may get more meat from the New Zealands but they just aren't as snuggly as my Rex. I have no complaints about the Satins, they are actually pretty nice rabbits. Good personality, a bit less personable than the Rex but not as standoffish as a lot of pure meat breeds, a few crazies but you'll get that in any breed . . . at my house we call that supper . . . nice pelts if you hold on to such things. So there's my vote, Rex first for the super soft pelt and fantastic personality and Satin for pelt, size and personality.

I dont have any at the moment but I'm hoping to get some NZW at the end of the year.

Back
Top Bottom