Raising toad eggs

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hi everyone,

I was requested on another thread to start a thread here where I can tell people about something that happened and update as I go along.

Yesterday, I was photographing frogs and toads. While I was photographing, I saw the biggest western toad I have ever seen. There was a smaller one on top of the bigger one. I concluded that the one on the bottom, the bigger one, was female and the smaller one on the top was male.

IMG_3229.jpeg

I caught them, and the female “delivered.”

IMG_3251.jpeg

I decided to take the eggs home as well as some of the water from the canal, and attempt to raise these eggs into toads, then release them. I figured it would help out the toad population and my garden, because they are good pest controllers.

The exact species is western toad.

Anyway, I will post updates as I go along. I figured it would interest some people.

Regards,

Jared

Following! I have a toad living in my greenhouse. It burrows into the soil under the plants and seems to enjoy being watered with them. Have no idea how it got in there as the greenhouse door is always closed, but I'm happy to have it living there. I think it's a Western toad, too.

Attachments

• toad_2883.JPG
    toad_2883.JPG
    515.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom