Raising Turkeys

jamiebartlett

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Hi Everyone, My husband has continously been asking for Turkeys to raise. We have chickens. When there was a post offering two poults just a few miles from my home, I thought it'd be ag ood time to take the opportunity and let him raise turkeys. We're gonna set up a space for the turkey that is seperate from the chickens so that they don't squabble and I think just about everything in the coop is "chicken size" not "
turkey size". What are the basics of rasinng a Turkey? Do they eat different feed? House differently? Need a roost? Nesting box? How big? I looked around on the forums, didnt find anything. The only info I can seem to find on the web is raising turkeys to eat. Thanks for any input or direction given!
Jamie

a turkey needs game bird feed as its growing.or high protine broiler feed.my turkeys eat lay pellets with the hens.they are 3yrs old now.an they love to roost on the fence.i have to drive them in at nite to the henhouse.

hi
keep my four turkeys in the same building as the chickens but they are seperated by a fence..no problem,.they are on full feed(in front of them at all times) and I feed a upland game bird feed,purchased at my local co-op,laying mash will also work,I also feed"scratch" a mix of cracked corn and wheat,about four parts game bird and ond part scratch.Yes they will roost if you provide one for them.I let my hens lay their eggs on the ground,a mixture of straw ane because they move the bedding around so much when laying I mix a little hay in with the straw,it helps to hold the straw together better.I also gather the eggs daily and when I have ten or so put them in the incubator.Last year hatched around twenty.Good luck,they are fun and easy to raise.
note:turkys are as DUMB as a rock

mr. norm
monroe tenessee

Back
Top Bottom