Raising Wood Ducks

I was planning on getting them out early this year but the pen I had for them was broken into by possums because there were call ducks in it. I do not have space to put them anywhere else and all three hens are now sitting on nests and I am using them to sit on pintail and the redhead eggs that were layed this week. I can probably take the drakes out though.

I was told that you have to drop the hatchlings off a ladder as high up as you can, into a pan of scrambled eggs mixed with green grass clippings. the hatchlings will bounce a little but that is what kick starts their metabolism. just like in the wild they climb out of holes and nest boxes and drop.

Hi everyone, just found this by googling "raising wood ducks". I live in south louisiana on a neighborhood pond. Pond is about 1600' x 300' with a long skinny (maybe 800'x20') island of trees in the middle. Currently there are domestic mallards and muscovies in our neighborhood. We have wild wood ducks that come in every night and leave every morning. We would like to have some wood ducks hang around for viewing pleasure. Is there any hope of keeping any full time with the wild ducks and other domestic species around? Thanks so much.

I do not know, but
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome skidry. If you put up some raised nest boxes on poles and feed kept out daily there is a very good chance you can get some to stay. Moreso since you are in the southern states.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the welcomes and information. To be more specific, if I raised some domestic woodies and/or mandarins, would they stay with the other domestic birds on the pond or would they "learn" to be wild from the wild ducks? BTW, we also have wild mexican tree ducks in there almost daily.

The ones that you raise may stay for a while but sooner or later they will most likely fly off. When they come in contact with the wild birds their wild instincts start taking over.

Back
Top Bottom