Raising Wood Ducks

Yes, you'll need to remove all but one or two of the domestic ducklings- they grow so much quicker they will very soon out compete and inadvertently step all over the wood duck, likely killing sooner than later. Do it ASAP.

Also, please remember that this is a wild bird and what you're doing is certainly breaking federal law and probably state laws as well. Only licensed wildlife rehabbers are permitted to care for orphaned migratory birds.

Last edited:
Should he have been left to die on his own in the park pond as its "rescuer" was planning to do? I have emailed the rehabilitator across the state that sent me 12 muscovy ducklings to live on our pond & farm for her advice. I have also sent a text for guidance from ourAR
Game & Wildlife officer. I cannot find ANYone to take it. In the meantime I have set up a separate brooder box for the larger ducklings to live in until they are feathered out & can be moved to the duckling transition sheltered fenced pen. Thank you for your suggestions. They are very helpful & appreciated.

Dr Todd is right about only keeping a couple with the little duck.Separate em soon. Size generally matters on ducklings. Shes just letting ya know about the laws concerning them. You have done the right thing, So in my opinion laws are never 100% absolute. In a couple months if all goes well you will have a successful release somewhere.

Last edited:
Thank you! He/she is eating, drinking, jumps on top of the Brinsea brooder heater & down again as well as nibble on chopped romaine lettuce & grass. Crickets are going in for their amusement & food. He seems to be thriving thankfully. We have wood duck boxes on our pond as well as supplementary game bird crumbles & cracked corn for the variety of ducks & geese that call our pond home. We have had wood ducks flying in & off our pond so he will hopefully naturalize well. Thank you again.

Hello all,

Any chance someone could tell me at what age wood duck drakes develop the red eye and if they even do in captivity? It's surprisingly difficult to find that information anywhere...

Thanks!

From my experience about 3 months they should start showing those signs! First youll notice the white neck and cheek markings emerge then the red eyes!

It looks like a Wood Duck hen. If it was a male it would have some red coming in in its eyes, and the facial markings would be very prominent and distinct.

Back
Top Bottom