Randy gander pestering duck

MoTownChickie

Songster
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Modesto, California
Okay, I know I should have investigated further before taking the plunge and I was going to buy 2 ducks, but ended up getting a duckling and goose in April. They were raised together and are best buds.

BUT- I had caught the goose/gander on top of the duck in their pool once last month and figured that since duck is such a brat that the goose/gander was just putting her in her place.
Well, this morning before work when I went to give them their morning treats and food, I found the goose on top of the duck in the pool again. And again. Duck was almost totally submerged and not thrilled.

Now I'm wondering if a) this is a verification that I have a gander
b) if he is trying to mate with duck, and
c) if this could harm the duck.
The duck is obviously a she because she is such a mouthy critter. All day and half the night she is quacking and making noise.

Goose still likes me and allows me to pick him (?) up for corporal cuddling for a few minutes in the evening.
Other than the unsavory pool incidents, duck and goose/gosling seem to be pals as always presenting a united front againt the hated chickens.

So what do I do now? I don't want to have to rehome either if possible and my feed store doesn't have any more waterfowl this year.

Yikes! Who knew keeping feathered critters presented so many challenges...

My goose routinely breeds my ducks... his favorite right now is a pekin... in the morning, they go into the pond, and she stretches out and holds still... then he swims closer and sinks her... I think if the duck hated it, she'd protest more, and not let him get that close to her... she won't drown, if he's a HUGE goose, and she's a tiny duck, like a call or a mallard, it might be a problem, and she might get injured... otherwise, I think it's probably okay... and no, they won't have babies..

Thanks for your prompt reply. I already knew they wouldn't have babies together
wink.png
but I just really was hoping for reassurance that I wouldn't need to break them up.

The duck is a blue Swedish, the gander an African but kinda on the small size I think.
I was hopiong for two females, but if I had to have a mixed pair I'm glad that it is the duck that is female. I'm looking forward to baking with her eggs.

I've encountered cross-species love before - rooster totally besotten with a cat- but never quite this, ehem, *physical*.

My gander is a chinese, so about the same size, and his first 4 girlfriends were swedes... no problems, except the occasional "WHAT?!?" i get from my friends and neighbors.... I usually TRY to ignore it, though his shriek, then spread wings, then his toppling off is hard to ignore...

My smallish African gander never used to mate ducks until his Embden mate passed away last winter. Now he sometimes will mate (on dry ground) one of the khaki Campbell ducks - the smallest one. She hasn't been injured by his amorous moments, but I do wonder how such a size difference doesn't result in the duck getting squished.

Fortunately, it's not frequent, and most of the time he just likes to have the two youngest and smallest Campbell ducks by his side as companions. He even keeps the randy drakes away from them sometimes.

I would worry more about the duck's butt than her being squished or drowned. Two of mine have had their rear pop out ( :hmm; ) just because of a large drake. I mean, he WAS really 'active,' but I don't see why stuff like that happens.
sad.png

They've both gone on to make a full recovery and have even had babies of their own! BUT, they didn't like to be separated from each other and the rest of the flock while they were healing.

Sorry to steal the limelight.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom