Rantings to stop eating Free Range eggs~ please respond !

Punk tends to give some branches of Buddhism some mad props. I think the neatest mash-up I've witnessed though was a self described Baptist-Buddhist...really chill guy.
Now I really want to find out more about the Brok-pa to see what is truth and what is Western projection. TT...want to take a trip? xD

Perhaps, if I can get meat and beer!

How would a vegan handle this one?

My wife went to our morning market to buy vegetables for the restaurant. So far so good, I think, so long as no insects lingered in the vegetables only to perish when she washed and prepared the veg.

She saw someone selling six live turtles for food. Mrs. TT bought all of them, gave them food and some water to sit in at the restaurant and brought them home this evening. We lined all six up on the plank that leads into our catfish pond and watched them, one by one, head for the water. Tomorrow, she will transplant some weeds that turtles like from our big pond to this pond.

Now, if Mrs. TT was vegan, I don't think she could have done that. Rescuing them from certain death on a BBQ and putting them in our pond amounts to 'using animals for our own amusement'. I think I have understood the spoutings of Catherine correctly. My wife should have left the turtles to be bought by someone who wanted to cook them because buying them to keep alive would be interference.

Did I get that right?

I haven't figured that one out either. Also, every time a person takes a shower, does laundry, or sweeps or vaccums the floors and upholstery, they are killing or disturbing myriads of small creatures that inhabit their person and their immediate environment. What about the rights of those creatures?

Now, if Mrs. TT was vegan, I don't think she could have done that. Rescuing them from certain death on a BBQ and putting them in our pond amounts to 'using animals for our own amusement'. I think I have understood the spoutings of Catherine correctly. My wife should have left the turtles to be bought by someone who wanted to cook them because buying them to keep alive would be interference.

Did I get that right?

You are confused on the definition of Veganism. Vegans don't believe in eating animals or animal products. Saving turtles and putting them in a pond doesn't violate any of those.

There are some animal rights groups who have different views, but that really doesn't have anything to do with Veganism.

There seems to be a lot of prejudice and misinformation in THIS thread, IMO.

I haven't figured that one out either. Also, every time a person takes a shower, does laundry, or sweeps or vaccums the floors and upholstery, they are killing or disturbing myriads of small creatures that inhabit their person and their immediate environment. What about the rights of those creatures?

Vegans don't believe in killing (or hurting food producing) animals for human consumption because it is not necessary for human survival. Mosts Vegans try to make as little impact as possible on nature. To dismiss their efforts because there is not perfect way to COMPLETELY prevent human impact is callous and actually quite ridiculous.

Should everyone here give up raising their own healthy and humane eggs because they still buy milk at the store?

FYI, I am not Vegan but this thread is crazy...

You are confused on the definition of Veganism. Vegans don't believe in eating animals or animal products. Saving turtles and putting them in a pond doesn't violate any of those.

There are some animal rights groups who have different views, but that really doesn't have anything to do with Veganism.

There seems to be a lot of prejudice and misinformation in THIS thread, IMO.

I might have agreed with you a few days ago when I thought that vegans were no more than extreme vegetarians. Look, though, at Catherine's list of do nots and read on her blog how strictly she interprets them:

http://startananimalsanctuary.com/about/

It seems to me that buying live animals from a food market and giving them a home is against the rules of veganism.

Vegans don't believe in killing (or hurting food producing) animals for human consumption because it is not necessary for human survival. Mosts Vegans try to make as little impact as possible on nature. To dismiss their efforts because there is not perfect way to COMPLETELY prevent human impact is callous and actually quite ridiculous.

Should everyone here give up raising their own healthy and humane eggs because they still buy milk at the store?

FYI, I am not Vegan but this thread is crazy...

That's what Catherine is saying. Read her blog properly.

Again, though, you are taking one woman who is an extreme animal rights activist and equating her philosophy with a term that literally defines the way somebody eats.

Edited to add that Catherine does not define Veganism. She defines Catherine. She may be a Vegan, but she doesn't speak for all Vegans.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom