Rantings to stop eating Free Range eggs~ please respond !

Chickielady

Spiritwood Farms
14 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Raymond, WA
My Coop
My Coop
The point I agree with is that even though free range hens are well treated, their male counterparts may be inhumanely slaughtered at birth. I think this is true and though I bought chicks from a hatchery so that I could have "humane" eggs, I did feel bad that the male chicks that I didn't buy were probably euthanized inhumanely.

Now my goal is to hatch my own chickens from here on out and allow the males to range freely. But that is a luxury not everyone has. It is a tricky subject for people who are very invested in animal rights and don't think that any animals should be killed for food purposes.

I commented also. I have backyard hens, and love them to death! I know that there is a lot of inhumane things going on, which makes me sick! But like I stated on the comment, those of us who have raised backyard hens, and love them, these eggs are not from mistreated chickens.

Here is the link...I have posted with the author, my feelings that she clarify that NOT ALL eggs are from an inhumane battery commercial business.
Please post a comment on the site as I did, she is misleading the public to thinking that even free range eggs (as I sell) are from horribly abused poultry!

http://startananimalsanctuary.com/2...-eating-eggs-yes-even-free-range/#comment-198

I read the link. The author is campaigning for the better treatment of factory chickens. Whilst she acknowledges that free ranging is a 'step in the right direction', she is suggesting that people who support her campaign stop buying all eggs in order to bring pressure to bear on producers. If I were to comment on her blog, I'd say that free range egg producers who treat their chickens humanely would also be disadvantaged if her campaign were to become well supported. She might gain more support if she wrote as much about the humane producers as she has about factories. On the other hand, that wouldn't be so dramatic, would it?

'Free range' conjures an image of healthy chickens running around in green fields and happily sacrificing their eggs and their lives for the benefit of grateful humans. Larger commercial 'free range' businesses probably treat their chickens in exactly the same way as the factory farms except that the birds have a bit of space to walk around in. These businesses must be ruthlessly efficient, treating animals like objects, if they are to make profits and survive. That won't change unless everyone pays a lot more for eggs from big businesses. In the meantime, those who would eat eggs but want them from well treated hens can produce their own or buy them from a place where they can look at conditions for themselves.

Well I left a question there was only 2 comments I think any from here were deleted

My comment was "What do you do with the eggs from the chickens you rescue"

idunno.gif

I was tempted to post something, but I try to refrain from these arguments. I'm not a vegan, so I don't belong on vegan blogs. Judging by the passion the author uses in the article, it would be futile to discuss the matter. This person's mind is made up. If a person wants to be a vegan, that's their choice. It's an extreme lifestyle, IMO. I was a vegan in college for a while. I grew tired of it quickly.

I eat meats, eggs and milk. Yup, animals will die and suffer for me -sorry. If a vegan lives in a house, does all the natural flora and fauna where their house was built not get destroyed? Every worm, insect, mouse gets killed or displaced..... A person is foolish if they think that they can live on this earth without harming some kind of life form.

I better stop. I could go on and on and on........
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom