"Rare Phase" Ducks: A Breakdown

the crested gene can stay hidden for many generations or it can be a spontaneous mutation. I'm not sure about the coloring issue.

I do know that Ideal Hatchery in Texas has issues with the created gene being passed throughout their flocks so if any of their stock came from there, it could be that gene is being expressed.

these are cross of KC mom and Runner dad

Attachments

• 20190408_120334.jpg
    20190408_120334.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190408_120351.jpg
    20190408_120351.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190408_120355.jpg
    20190408_120355.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190408_120358.jpg
    20190408_120358.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190408_120404.jpg
    20190408_120404.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190408_120411.jpg
    20190408_120411.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 16
We did sell her and got an even rarer totally white duck the next hatch. We found out they are leucistic, more than likely. This could be what people call white phase I'm not sure.

Here is a picture of Mystery

Oh wow she is pretty! Looks very similar to an Aylesbury with her blue eyes and pink bill. Thank you for replying to me, sorry I took so long to see that you had. Also I'd not heard of leucistic before so now I've learnt something interesting

Oh wow she is pretty! Looks very similar to an Aylesbury with her blue eyes and pink bill. Thank you for replying to me, sorry I took so long to see that you had. Also I'd not heard of leucistic before so now I've learnt something interesting
We also got a new one that we just found a home for. She is from our latest hatch
IMG_20190531_110008068.jpg

She looks just like the others but with the coloring she was born with so far. I will be able to see what happens though and will update.

I'm wondering how this strain of swedish was made. I know when breeds travel over from other countries they sometimes mix in other types of ducks to get different characteristics. Maybe it is a long hidden gene.

The people that told me she was leucistic said they thought that also because we've had three that could be considered leucistic in various expressions. The first was splotched white all over. Just like a person with vitaligo. The next was all white with a grey bill and then total loss of all color. I don't think we will hatch another group unless there is a hatching program which promises to keep them.

I was assured twice by the breeders of these ducklings that they are what I ordered. Silver appleyards from Metzer Farms online. I questioned if they were rouens. They guaranteed they are silver appleyards with the 'dark' phase, after I emailed them pictures when unsure of the breed being correct. I just think it's unusual that all 3 of the S.A. I ordered would be this phase when they said 10% are this coloring? They were straight run.

Attachments

• 0310210807a.jpg
    0310210807a.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 0310210806e.jpg
    0310210806e.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 0310210806d.jpg
    0310210806d.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 12
Within every duck breed, there is one color known specifically, and established first, for that breed. Rouens are gray, Indian Runners are fawn and white, Khaki Campbells are Khaki. However, there are often multiple colors within breeds, too. With certain breeds like Calls, Runners, Magpies, Anconas, and Muscovy, they are all considered "standard", for the most part.

However, duck breeds with only one or two "standard" phases often have what is called a "rare" or "alternate" phase. This is a very misunderstood topic. I will go through it in parts.

What is a "rare phase"?
A "rare phase" duck is a purebred duck with an unusual, unstandardized color variation within the breed. "Rare phase" ducks are hard to find, particularly because a "rare phase" duck must be purebred to be true.

For example, within the Rouen breed, there is one "standard phase"- gray (wild). There are also three other "rare phases" (pastel, blue fawn, trout), which are not standardized and are very uncommon.

A "rare phase" has three main criteria to be considered "true"; it must be purebred, it must have desirable breed characteristics and patterns, and it must breed "true" (meaning that the ducklings of this color will result in the appropriate ratio, or color, of duckling, with no mutating colours)

Standard Phase List
These are common breeds only. I did not include certain breeds because they have lots of variations, or indiviual patterning. Ducks marked with * have "rare phases". Ducks without don't, or I could not find enough research for..
*Rouen: Gray (wild)
*Silver Appleyard: Light
*Cayuga: Black
*Welsh Harlequin: Silver and Gold
*Buff Orpington: Buff
*Khaki Campbell: Khaki
*Mallard: Gray (wild)
*Crested: White
*Swedish: (Bibbed)Black, Blue, Silver (black desired)
Saxony: Saxony
Pekin: White
Black East Indies: Black
Aylesbury: White

Rare Phases
Rare phases are just that: rare. They are hard to find, and, even harder to breed. Even if two rare phase ducks are bred, there will be some standard phase ducklings.

Rare phases do not include crossbred ducks, albino ducks, or standard phase ducks. They are purebred, fully recognizable, desired ducks within that breed.

To fully determine a rare phase duck, you need to look first. We'll use a Rouen duck as an example.
Does it have all the breed characteristics? Is the bill yellow, the plumage patterned, with brown eyes, dark eye stripes, and a calm temperament? Is it 6-9 pounds?

Then you need to trace back the lineage. Are any of the parents rare phase? Is it purebred, or is there a hidden recessive gene hidden from a far back cross breeding? What did its siblings look like? What other ducks lived on the farm with its parents?

Next, let it lay. Are the egg shell colors the desired color (in Rouen, white to blue to green is usually ideal), and are they strong, healthy (one yolk), and properly formed?

Then, if it passes these tests, you can breed it. Then ask yourself; does it breed "true"? (A Rouen duck that is blue fawn should produce a ratio of 1 gray to 2 pastel to 2 blue fawn ideally).

If it passes all the tests above, it is almost certain you have a rare phase duck. Lucky you! To be sure, check the list below:

Rare Phase Duck List
Rare phases can be varied, but all will be in purebred stock. Albinos are not included, as this is actually a lack in pigment.
*Rouen: Pastel, Blue Fawn, Trout (Rouen Claire)
*Silver Appleyard: Dark (noticeable as ducklings)
*Cayuga: Blue (sometimes known as light, or gray)
*Welsh Harlequin: White
*Buff Orpington: Blue, Pastel
*Khaki Campbell: White
*Mallard: White
*Crested: Any color; usual crested are bred in white only.
*Swedish: White

Coloration as Ducklings: Standard vs Rare
I'm going to break down duckling colors in each "rare phase" breed for you, so you can possibly identify ducklings as rare phase. (Please, make sure they are selected purebreds- cross bred "rare phases" are discouraging).
Rouen: Typical black and white pattern, two eye stripes. In rare phases, black is diluted to a light soft silver (pastel) medium silver and silver-yellow down (blue fawn) or golden hued markings (trout).
*Silver Appleyard: Typical ducklings have a "mohawk" stripe and black tail, the rest being yellow. Rare phase ducklings have a black and yellow pattern much like Rouens or Mallards, but are purebred.
*Cayuga: Typical babies are pure black, sometimes with a little yellow on the chest. Rare phases are light black (dark grey) or silver with black feet and beaks.
*Welsh Harlequin: Usual ducklings have: in Silver; a yellow body, with a grey 'haze' on the down of the head, Gold; a yellow body, with a golden or brown 'haze' on the head. White ducklings will be all yellow, with no lacing, and even then are a gamble.
*Buff Orpington: Standard ducklings are a yellow-tan duckling with a tan head, and yellow body. Blue ducklings will have a grey "haze" on the head, neck, and back, still with a darker head, and pastel will often have a light head and body.
*Khaki Campbell: Standard ducklings are a dark brown, with a dark beak and legs, and white ducklings are yellow with a dark orange or dark yellow beak.
*Mallard: Standard ducklings are similiar to Rouens, but with only one eye stripe. White ducklings will be almost all yellow, except for very faint eye or body stripes- almost unnoticeable.
*Crested: The desired duckling is all yellow with a crest, and a healthy body.
*Swedish: The standard ducklings that are desired Bibbed (and should be) are usually a dark grey, almost black to mid grey duckling with yellow on the chest. Others are pure yellow, but again, white is rare.

What To Do With Your Rare Phase Ducks
Rare phase ducks are treasured. They often become pets or breeding stock.
When using a rare phase duck for breeding, if you only have one rare phase duck, breed it to a very desirable, greatly colored hen of the breed, and keep the resulting "rare phase ducklings". You can breed rare phase father to rare phase hens or vise versa for a generation or two with no ill effects, and then choose the best stock for further breeding with a new father or mother.
You can show a rare phase duck, but bring an information card showing either proof it is rare phase and purebred, or explain why it's that color. It will have a harder time placing, but it is not impossible!
If using them as pets, egg layers, or meat birds, treat them just as any other duck.

Chances Are, It's Not Rare Phase
I am here to deliver the news that your beloved "mutated" duck is probably not a rare phase. So please, check and check again before you assume. After all, mutts are beautiful too! :D

Feel free to post "rare phase" ducks down below.
Yellow Billed White Mallards are extremely common in Australia along with Normals (greys). Our rarer colours include white-Billed white, blue Fawn, brown, Dusky, Fawn, silver and laced Fawn all of which are recognised in our standard. Non-standard colours include selfs, bibs and pieds. I will be working on some bibbed Mallards and pied Mallards this year along with starting a Dusky and a chocolate Mallard project. Then the following season I’ll be able to start creating Magpie Mallards.

Hello. I'm not sure if this thread is still going, but I am wondering how many generations back before knowing a duck is purebred?

I have a black duckling that was hatched from regular Rouens. Mine are not standard, they are production Rouens. The parents are mine, and the grandparents are at a friend's farm. Rouens are the only ducks on his farm and in my yard.

So I'm curious if my duckling is a mix from genetics beyond the grandparents? I have 8 ducks that hatched and only one is black (still waiting on one egg)
20220330_183438.jpg
20220331_162112.jpg
20220405_171931.jpg

Back
Top Bottom