Rare Poultry Enthusiast Thread

The Pyncheon Bantam is a very old breed. The author "Nathaniel Hawthorne" raised this breed and mentioned it in his novel..."The House of Seven Gabels".... Hawthorne also mentions that the breed dates back to the early 1700's. Probably one of the first true bantam breeds to be established in this country. The breed is recognized by the ABA in the Mille Fleur color variety...but a few other colors are now being created. The breed MUST have a single comb, RED earlobes and most important....WILLOW colored legs....so many have white or blue legs.... I've had the breed for almost 20 years and love their hardiness, broodiness, cocky disposition, and their wonderful body type and color. They have a small crest/tassel on their heads which also gives them a unique look. I have been raising Bantams with the Mille Fleur color in other breeds as well since 1979.....and showing exhibition livestock since 1967. I will ALWAYS raise Pyncheons.

Last edited:
I have Svart Honas (cousin to the Ayam Cemani), Legbar Orpingtons, LF Chocolate Orpingtons, Jubilee Orpingtons, Mottled Orpingtons, Lavender Cuckoo Orpingtons, Cream Legbar, and Olandsk Dwarf.

I have pictures and information on each of these rare breeds/colors on my website www.ewecrazyfarms.com

I hope to keep up with this thread and update with more pictures and information. Great Topic For Sure!
Generating interest is necessary for some of these extremely rare breeds to get started in America.

The Pyncheon Bantam is a very old breed. The author "Nathaniel Hawthorne" raised this breed and mentioned it in his novel..."The House of Seven Gabels".... Hawthorne also mentions that the breed dates back to the early 1700's. Probably one of the first true bantam breeds to be established in this country. The breed is recognized by the ABA in the Mille Fleur color variety...but a few other colors are now being created. The breed MUST have a single comb, RED earlobes and most important....WILLOW colored legs....so many have white or blue legs.... I've had the breed for almost 20 years and love their hardiness, broodiness, cocky disposition, and their wonderful body type and color. They have a small crest/tassel on their heads which also gives them a unique look. I have been raising Bantams with the Mille Fleur color in other breeds as well since 1979.....and showing exhibition livestock since 1967. I will ALWAYS raise Pyncheons.
Wow, that sounds like quite the breed! I have never heard of them, but am glad they are currently being supported with diligence. Do they exist in other colors besides Mille Fleur? Found some more pictures online to give a better idea of what they look like. Thanks for your input!

How about these:

Ixworth Fowl
IxworthCkl.JPEG

I do not own any but they look interesting. Anyone with any experience with them?

Wow, that sounds like quite the breed! I have never heard of them, but am glad they are currently being supported with diligence. Do they exist in other colors besides Mille Fleur? Found some more pictures online to give a better idea of what they look like. Thanks for your input!

Thanks....The hen in the top photo is one of my 5 yr. old hens.....her color and pattern had faded...but I still used her for breeding and had produced some wonderful offspring. I also have Pyncheons in: Porcelain, White, Blue Mille Fleur, Golden Neck, and a few Black tailed red and a pair of Silver Mille Fleur. Pyncheons outside of this country have been man-made and even here...they are VERY rare with too few dedicated breeders.

The Westfalische Totleger-

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Westphal/BRKWestphal.html

Nice German breed that has a comb like that of the Barthuhner. They lay well, and that is actually how they got their name. The Westfalische translates from German to Death Layer, because it is renowned to lay almost up to when they die. They are a very wild, active breed that loves to perch in trees and is very skittish. As far as I know, they come in Gold and Silver penciled varieties only.

Thank you!
Thuringer Bearded Foul-
Seems to have been developed for relatively the same reasons as the Barthuhner, lays well, has a beard that runs complete, un-separated by ears and wattles, from one side of the comb to the other. Seems they've been mentioned once before in BYC, though under a different name. They are also known as the Pausbackchen and sometimes the Owlbeard, though the Owlbeard was created from the Thuringer and has a v-shaped comb, not a single. They are a Bohemian breed.

Here's my links-

Physical characteristics:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/77411419/1899-thuringer-pausbackchen-breed-of

History/Info:
http://www.vieh-ev.de/Rassen/Gefluegel/barthuhn.html

BYC link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/591630/silver-grey-pausbackchen-is-it-extinct

More Pictures:
http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=Thuringer_baardhoen

Back
Top Bottom