Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

When you have only two of something there is a chance that one of the two may die and then you have a big problem. Each year that these breeds are out in the public the cost goes down to buy some. It is very difficult to make money with chickens.

Walt
I agree completely, it is very hard. but it is possible, I am currently on the list to import two very rare breeds from Brittan (next summer sometime) I will have enough money in these pens to build a small house. on the other end, I already have interest in the chicks and higher end cull birds (I wont sell any chicks on the first year). you just have to watch what you do, and be willing to lose.

trying to make money with chickens is a lot like playing in the stock market. never buy just one pair of something, get at least 2 pairs. I myself usually shoot for at least 3 trios.

not with my own flock thank God, but i have seen 90% losses in broiler breeds in 6-8 hours in an afternoon. it does happen.

on the other end, im so happy i didn't invest in Enron. i did have some world com investments. it is a risky business. i warn people all the time to not limit themselves to one rooster in a breeding program. yes its possible to breed good birds with one rooster, my luck shows me that when i limit to one, that's the only bird out of 500 that dies.

what i do is not for everyone i admit. first off you have to LOVE chickens, but you must be willing to let some go. there are times its common since, and other times you have to be scientific. some homeopathic remedies are great, but there's a time for science and a time to cull. ive seen farmers out there who knowingly sell sick animals. i myself do not want that reputation, if i question it i separate it; if there is no improvement i cull it.

im getting off point here, it is possible to make money in the chicken world. you may make a little selling eggs here and there. you can make a little more selling hatching eggs - but to be legal (in ohio) and to protect the other person's flock, you wont make as much money as it looks like. there is money to be made in rare breeds, but don't spend money you cant afford to spend on a risk. you might make some, but you might lose it all.

Back
Top Bottom