Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

I did not read through the whole thread so maybe these have already been mentioned: Sulmtaler (an Austrian breed) Appenzeller Barthühner (a Swiss breed), not to be confused with Appenzeller Spitzhauben. Both breeds have not been in the US prior to 2011 (to my knowledge). I can tell you more about them if anybody is interested. I own original imports of both.
big_smile.png
Do you have pics of the Appenzeller Barthühner?? Or where can I see them...?

Has anyone seen the photos on greenfire farms of the ayam cemani?
Hubby said when we win the lottery he'll buy me a pair. Who can afford 5k for two chickens?

Oh I know!!! I know someone local to me that got their hands on a pair but... I haven't seen them yet... They live in an aviary in their house! I know that's where mine would be!!

I just stumbled on this thread. I have been looking for brussbars, and real (not from red) brown Sussex. does anyone know of any US breeders? im on the waiting list for adult birds on both breeds for next year, but I would like to get started a little earlier.

I know that Greenfire Farms imported some brown Sussex, but they didn't release them due to red color in the breast- I am also looking for the light breast color.

Has anyone seen the photos on greenfire farms of the ayam cemani?
Hubby said when we win the lottery he'll buy me a pair. Who can afford 5k for two chickens?
I know this sounds like a lot of money, but keep in mind not many people have them. if you start a good breeding program you can make your money back fairly easily. just a guess but people will pay $200 for a chick on rare breeds like this.

I know this sounds like a lot of money, but keep in mind not many people have them. if you start a good breeding program you can make your money back fairly easily. just a guess but people will pay $200 for a chick on rare breeds like this.

Oh I get it, if we had any money to invest it sounds like a great plan. I actually saw a couple is selling their 1800 laying hens for 5k. 1800 hens for 5k to me makes more sense than 2 for 5k - but a lot more work ;) I wish I had the chance to buy their business from them.

Oh I get it, if we had any money to invest it sounds like a great plan. I actually saw a couple is selling their 1800 laying hens for 5k. 1800 hens for 5k to me makes more sense than 2 for 5k - but a lot more work
wink.png
I wish I had the chance to buy their business from them.

When you have only two of something there is a chance that one of the two may die and then you have a big problem. Each year that these breeds are out in the public the cost goes down to buy some. It is very difficult to make money with chickens.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom