Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Quote:
Who's the Warden?

She's a member here on BYC who is kinda spearheading the Icelandic breeding program out here in Nor California. Her handle is 'The Warden' and she has a very nice thread about Icelandics with lots of pics and info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=299038

edited to add link
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I kinda see what you mean. It seems odd to me too. Maybe I just accept that those things are just normal for the breed its-self. Unless one really tracks the lineage of their flock, it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to tell them apart from simple mutts of various breeds. I just figure if it is normal for the breed to have various combs and colors, then thats just the way it is. I know it is a difficult concept to embrace when so much emphasis is always placed on having a certain standard to adhere to when it comes to breeding and showing, not to mention just for being able to visually determine a breed w/out genetic testing or lots of paperwork trailing particular breedingstock birds.

Is it impossible to have a true breed when the only real defining physical characteristic is egg color? In that way, Icelandics all share a common trait.

It reminds me of the EE questions seen alot here- Like "Are EE's a breed,or just a mutt"? "How to determine if your EE is pure, or just a barnyard mix"? etc.

I have to agree with what Suzette is saying here. Icelandics are sort of like the Norwegian Jaerhon in that they are a breed that have been around for a while in another country and recognized as "a breed". However, we get it into our heads after looking for the APA Standard in a breed that we fail to recognize that some of the breeds that have developed, for whatever reason the continue to be bred, have variations within the breed that are not selected or de-selected for. You should also consider, in many countries where some of these birds are coming from, people have chickens more for practical purposes than for hobby. Especially when you are talking about a small island country like Iceland. Why would they bring in several breeds of chickens when they have some right there? They have our version of Backyard Special, but they are all Icelandics because that is where they come from and probably have some common genetics. Does that disqualify or qualify them as a breed? Who decides?

Does the OP want to know of ALL chickens, who is the rarest in the US, or just APA recognized breeds, or what?

Quote:
Resolution, either you have too much time on y:gigour hands, or you are an absolute chicken fanatic in need of serious counseling
gig.gif
by a nice flock of chickens!

Humm, Most of the ones posted are rare in canada to.... i have to learned of any breeders of Rhode island white, Icelandics ( i am going to say those a are a land fowl are they not?) And of Course the breed that i have waited a year to get.... Hungarian Yellow. are very rare i am guessing 100 in NA ( even that may be a huge over statement
hmm.png
)

A true French Golden Cuckoo Marans. This may not be a rare breed but I think they are just a few breeders that have one. Bev Davis even told me she knows no one that has the proper one. So to me that's pretty rare.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have been looking for Lamonas and have found none !
But I have fantastic RIWs.

Could we see some pictures. I've never seen one with proper type.

50801_green_splash_rhode_islands_001.jpg

young, and after they got into some sage house paint
50801_mots_daddy.jpg

parents stock
50801_mot1.jpg

young cockeral

Quote:
Kraienkoppe's - http://www.kraienkoeppe.de/ (click the galleries on the left side, many of those have photos.)

And birds VIA the Netherlands, they belong to Wanda Zwart.
7779_792px-twent2.jpg

7779_711px-twent.jpg

And feathersite http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Kraien/BRKKraien.html , if you look around there are more photos on the net. I remember seeing a pretty silver duckwing pullet Mr. George posted on a forum, but can't recall where.

As for the Shamo's, it will be awhile before I have any for sale I imagine. They're new to me and I only have two breeding hens (plus three roosters), which from what I gather may only lay about two dozen each a year.. Will have to see. And even on that, I don't like to sell young chicks/eggs, there are more hassles with it than I'd like to deal with plus I like to let the birds grow up. Growing up, I get to see which will make decent breeders or just need to be culled, if they need to be culled I wouldn't want anyone to get them for breeding etc.

-Daniel

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom