Rat Control 101

Everyone has Rats. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they are not there. I used to live in a retirement community in the Arizona desert that was as neat and clean as Hospital Grounds. A neighbor across the street said "I don't have Rats". We discussed this and I asked if I could put a live animal trap in her yard. She said "Sure, but you won't catch anything"! Yeah right! I caught 13 Rats in 15 days/nights! She was shocked. They travel a long distance looking for food, and to breed. Always assume that you have them. Just don't do anything that makes your area attractive for them. And if you can't build a wooden box trap for a glue trap, use a small cardboard carton and just put a small hole in one end, with a glue board inside. Keep it in a protected area from the weather and you may be surprised! Use P-Nut butter if you like for an extra attraction and place it alongside a wall. You'll see what I mean in no time. If not? Consider your self very lucky no to have any, Yet. They are everywhere.
Here's another thing. Several neighbors have "Doggie Doors". The Rats would enter at night and eat the Pet food! They would also leave droppings everywhere that finally alerted the homeowner. Remember, close and lock the Doggie Door at night. Rats learn quickly! They are opportunists.

This is what I use. I have caught the majority of our killed rats in this trash can. Some people fill the bottom with water, and some try taking the live rats elsewhere (which I don't recommend), and some people give the live rats to their dogs. Either way, it does help greatly...

This is what I use. I have caught the majority of our killed rats in this trash can. Some people fill the bottom with water, and some try taking the live rats elsewhere (which I don't recommend), and some people give the live rats to their dogs. Either way, it does help greatly...

How do you prevent chickens from getting into the rat traps?

Has anyone that has used a bait stations with poison ever had their poultry eat the poisoned rat? My main concern was if they got after the carcass or even a rat that was poisoned that the chicken would also be poisoned.

I do not advocate relocating Rats. You are also relocating every disease the rats are carrying! Not fair to your neighbors. Just kill them by drowning or Whatever you can think of, that you consider Humane. I would not give them to your Dogs either. They can become carriers of the same disease Rats carry, then come and lick your face. Think about that! I like glue traps the best. You can burn them in a Barrel or Like I do, in the wood stove in my Barn. And be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after disposing of these filthy animals. I sometimes use a live animal trap and shoot them with a B.B. gun, then dump them in the trash. I prefer Glue traps in a small cardboard box you can throw away. Make a small hole in one corner, put the glue board inside and you will have an easy way to dispose of them. Use P-Nut Butter to attract them quicker if you feel the need for bait. Now go wash your hands, again!

Has anyone that has used a bait stations with poison ever had their poultry eat the poisoned rat? My main concern was if they got after the carcass or even a rat that was poisoned that the chicken would also be poisoned.

What you are referring to is the risk of "secondary poisoning". This question was posed to BYC members in this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dead-rats-and-secondary-poisoning.1283489/

I think a fair summary is that while the risk is possible, it is also remote and what risk there is can be mitigated by selection of baits that pose a very low secondary risk.

What is of far greater risk is from careless use of the products that would result in primary poisoning.

On the use of traps alone as a method of rat control, I suggest you not go too far down that rabbit hole chasing after solutions. Traps alone won't do it. And that includes the trash can traps.

Main benefit of traps is to monitor the situation to tell when rats are present. ** Granted, what rats they do catch are a benefit, but traps alone will never get them all and unless you can do that, a couple reproduction cycles and they will be right back in business.

** - That plus giving you something to do while scratching your itch for revenge while waiting for the bait blocks to work.

They are also a big help to rid your home of roof rats AFTER you have done your best to rat proof the place so they can't get in. Trapping those roof rats is a better alternative to bait blocks and dead rats in your attic stinking up the place.

What you are referring to is the risk of "secondary poisoning". This question was posed to BYC members in this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dead-rats-and-secondary-poisoning.1283489/

I think a fair summary is that while the risk is possible, it is also remote and what risk there is can be mitigated by selection of baits that pose a very low secondary risk.

What is of far greater risk is from careless use of the products that would result in primary poisoning.
I see Tomcat brand rat killer blocks have Bromethalin as their active ingredient. According to a study I found online from a university this product has low secondary risk to birds and mammals.

I am going to try this!! We've done this for mice around our house with success!! Can't believe we didn't think to do this with rats!

Back
Top Bottom