Rat proof feeder options.

I use a 30 gal metal trash can, cut 4 holes in it and stick the 3 in pvc street elbow in it. This helped tremendously with waste and mice/rats here. I made quite a few for the chicken barns. Here's a picture, there's more detailed versions online
I love this idea especially with the metal cans. Sadly, the PVC feeder doesn’t deter the rats here. They crawl right in through the PVC. We currently have these setup.

Attachments

• IMG_7277.png
    IMG_7277.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 3
A one pound bird isn't going to be heavy enough to use a real Rat Proof Chicken Feeder. Yes, the action can be set low enough that a one pound weight will operate it, but so can a one pound rat. The soft close have adjustable springs, you can set it at half pound or even less. The regular medium feeder has a series of holes for the springs, you can add more to make it very adjustable as well.

To complicate things the narrow and distant treadle which is required to make a feeder rat proof means the tiny bird isn't going to reach the feed.

Yes, you can add a duck step but again you are stripping away the reasons the feeder actually stops rats when the wide treadle, Chinese made feeders like the Grandpa feeder and it clones don't stop rats and they have to be left open during training.

Check the negative reviews online on these feeders before buying.

It is possible to move the small birds and feed them by hand while the Rat Proof Feeder does its job. Three to five days and the rats have to leave unless you have other feed set out for them. A half pound tension would stop mice. But there is always the chance that the rats will come back and find the weakened feeder.

Tough situation you are in. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Are you using the caps on your current feeder ports? Are the rats coming in during the day? I have not tried them with rats, but I would suggest looking at your current feeder ports and seeing how to secure them better at night. If the ports are truly blocked they won't be able to climb in.

They are getting in through the roof which is chicken wire. They climb the trees!😩 The chicken run is mostly hardwire cloth but 1/3 is still chicken wire. Unfortunately, we can’t replace it all right now. The large chicken coop/run was inherited from the previous property owner so we’ve tried to reinforce as much as possible and make it work.

Is it possible to patch up the 1/3 of the roof with hardware cloth with cable ties? It might be better to "rat proof" your feeding area so the rats can't come in at all.

Check the negative reviews online on these feeders before buying.
I've been curious about the links in your signature but I'm not going to a http site..... what is it? Are you a stakeholder in this product ? I've read Howard E.'s rodent control white paper which is really good and I'm rat free due to Elimination (my choice: poison,) sanitation (my choice galvanized storage.) Exclusion - My barn is built like a home with cement, hardware cloth in insulated walls, metal roofing. Control: feral cats, dogs, daily clean up and feed storage..... All of this said and done I'm always on the lookout for a rat turd or evidence of them. I have rat ptsd, lol.

http ://ratproofchickenfeeder or http ://ratproofchickenfeeder

View attachment 3756271
The other night I found two large, glossy coated rats enjoying our expensive organic chicken feed. I’d estimate rats have been eating almost half of our feed. After researching treadle feeders, it seems like the Ratproof feeder would be a great option. Unfortunately, I have two hens (brabanter and cream legbar) that are under 1 lb. and am concerned they can’t open a treadle feeder. They are also the lowest of the pecking order so unlikely they can eat while the larger hens have the feeder open. Other than removing the food every night, any ideas on how to deter these rats.

View attachment 3756271
The other night I found two large, glossy coated rats enjoying our expensive organic chicken feed. I’d estimate rats have been eating almost half of our feed. After researching treadle feeders, it seems like the Ratproof feeder would be a great option. Unfortunately, I have two hens (brabanter and cream legbar) that are under 1 lb. and am concerned they can’t open a treadle feeder. They are also the lowest of the pecking order so unlikely they can eat while the larger hens have the feeder open. Other than removing the food every night, any ideas on how to deter these rats.

Sorry. Trying to reply.... beautiful bird.

I love this idea especially with the metal cans. Sadly, the PVC feeder doesn’t deter the rats here. They crawl right in through the PVC. We currently have these setup.
I bought things like this from Amazon and use them. They work great on the square-ish kitty litter buckets!

They also have screw in closures. So, you wouldn't need to pull out the feed every night ... just close off the feed ports.

Of course, rats can chew through a plastic bucket. So, it would probably work better on the steel garbage can as posted above.

Thankfully, I don't have rats, as of now.

Back
Top Bottom