Rats šŸ˜–

Iā€™ve never gotten a bucket trap to work on a rat. Theyā€™re too fast and figure out after one go of it that it isnā€™t worth the food. They can also jump out of the bucket. Iā€™ve used five gallon buckets but seen those rain barrels used for rats. Maybe that would work?
Rats are so aggressive. They'll turn around and fight!!

Donā€™t I know it. I caught one with my hands once. But I was warring a silicone oven mit. Thatā€™s all that stopped me from getting bit.
I usually carry a shovel or lead pipe with me, in case I have to fight. Lotsa coyotes, wild dogs (which are worse than coyotes), and drug addicts who live in the desert, all will try and steal. Once, I had to fight a vicious stray dog in town, on my way to see a doctor (nothing serious). He had 2 young mama's cornered, who had their babies and a puppy. The stray dog was after the puppy. For a split second, I thought, Well dang, I don't wanna be late. Then I was in it, thinking, This is important. I had no weapon at the time, so I used my bicycle. The dog argued with me, as it's backing up, which made me even more angry, so finally I dropped the bike, and just went for the dog. Finally, he hightailed it down an alley, grumbling as he went. Probably thinking, Hey, you're supposed to be afraid of me, lol...but rats. Nasty things. Make the first blow count.

I've also used the bucket method. It's pretty effective.
Bucket method? is that putting out pails of water that they get into and drown? I had a big infestation and stopped raising chickens and ducks because of rats and mice but plan to start again next year with being prepared.

My wife is in charge of rat control and she's really into it; always keeping an eye out for signs of rats She has a half dozen or more bait stations strategically positioned and checks every one every few weeks. She doesn't use much bait and if nothing is eating the bait then she moves the trap. Our old lab is really into it as well and is expert at sniffing out the dead rats and proudly showing them to us.... as though he is responsible. I sure the quasi-feral chickens come across the dead ones too. The poison makes rats crave water as they are dying so they usually die in the vacinity of a water source. I have no say in the matter but nothing bad has ever happened. No dead dogs and no dead chickens.

Personally, I have nothing against rats as long as they don't chew up my stuff.

Last edited:
Bucket method? is that putting out pails of water that they get into and drown? I had a big infestation and stopped raising chickens and ducks because of rats and mice but plan to start again next year with being prepared.
It's a 5 gallon bucket with a spinning rod going across the top. You can bait the rod (I use peanut butter) to lure the across. When the mice try to get to it they fall into the bucket. Most people fill the bucket halfway with water so the mice drown, but if you don't like that you can try leaving it empty and dispose of them another way. You can either buy a pre made bucket or make a DIY one (which is pretty simple).

This first picture is the bucket trap rod you can buy.
1665236374994.png

This is a DIY version.
1665236905254.png

While looking for pictures I stumbled across this. Might be worth looking into.
Bucket-Mouse-Slide-Indoor-Outdoor

My wife is in charge of rat control and she's really into it; always keeping an eye out for signs of rats She has a half dozen or more bait stations strategically positioned and checks every one every few weeks. She doesn't use much bait and if nothing is eating the bait then she moves the trap. Our old lab is really into it as well and is expert at sniffing out the dead rats and proudly showing them to us.... as though he is responsible. I sure the quasi-feral chickens come across the dead ones too. The poison makes rats crave water as they are dying so they usually die in the vacinity of a water source. I have no say in the matter but nothing bad has ever happened. No dead dogs and no dead chickens.

Personally, I have nothing against rats as long as they don't chew up my stuff.
There is a product called Rat X that is only toxic to rats, interferes with their ability to thirst so they dehydrate and die in their sleep. It also eliminates the odor of their death. Walmart and Amazon sell it-good info & explanation on the Rat X website.

So we realized we have a rat problem in and under(all coops are raised off ground but tunnels in dirt under them) coops! I haven't seen any inside small coop but bigger ones. By time we realized it was an infestation cause we never saw or had to deal with rat issues! My neighbor had an exterminator I saw leave his house twice in late Sept.. and boom here they are over here.. Which is around the time I started losing chickens so Im convinced it has to do with these dirt neck rats! Back on track sorry lol We have been setting traps and have been catching alot but its not quick enough for me and Im concerned because of how quickly these damn things multiply..I saw majority of peoole with infestationā€™s end up resorting to poison.. iā€™m just not a big fan because of dangers of wild life and neighborhood pets eating rats that are poisoned..so I saw someone on here with the clever idea of setting up traps and position in little pet carriers.. that eliminates anything bigger then rat from ingestion but what about mice or rats after ingesting this and they leave pet carriers? Im afraid of rats ingesting and then potentially wandering off and dying in run or coop where chickens can access the dead rats!! Any ideas or advice?! I need them gone asap! Im worried my silkies always liked to hang out under coops during hotter months for shade and now with this issue thats not happening! And theyā€™re going to be able to free range again soon as were in upstate ny and soon all the foliage will grow back in which is when they are allowed to have full access to all 4.5 acres!
There is a product called Rat X that is only toxic to rats, interferes with their ability to thirst so they dehydrate and die in their sleep. It also eliminates the odor of their death. Walmart and Amazon sell it-good info & explanation on the Rat X website.

Back
Top Bottom