Rats and Mint

barkpurr

Chirping
Apr 21, 2016
Hi folks,
I read about using Mint so help get rid of Rats in an area. Is there a particular kind of Mint? I bought Pineapple and spearmint at the store in a pot, didn't see just Mint? I also have put out Tom bait chunks inside the Bait container and have not seen the bait eaten at all yet. It's been almost 2 weeks! The Rats are all around it and multiplying still. HELP

I personally wouldn't waste the time on the mint while they're still reproducing. We have found "Just One Bite" to be very effective. Try to find the rats' holes and place some far inside - just be sure other things can't get to it, too.

The local tractor supply sells some kind of organic potpourri sachet that actually works pretty good. I had a full size rat in my farm van chewing the wires. Threw on in front middle and back, and haven't seen it since. One in my cabin got rid of the mice after just 1 day. Apparently they don't like the smell, which is kind of perfumey.

I don't know myself, I am dealing with Rats but I would think so. Other's on here would know more.

Becareful using poison, chickens will eat rats andice if they cant get ahold of them and secondary poising is an issue.
Try plaster of Paris mixed with brown sugar, put out water...when rats eat sugar, they get thirsty, drink water and the plaster sets up...if the chickens get them the plaster chunks wont hurt them.
We had more success killing rats with Rex traps put in a box and baited...kids, dogs, cats and other friendly pets cant get in but Rats go in for food and SNAP the jaws kill them.

I tried reinforcing the holes I found in the coop and run with more wire, keep the coop free of feed, spray mint, put fresh rosemary and sprinled cayenne pepper and the rats still keep going in there at night. I even started feeding a stray kitten in hopes it will try catching mice and rats but nothing seems to work. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
I tried reinforcing the holes I found in the coop and run with more wire, keep the coop free of feed, spray mint, put fresh rosemary and sprinled cayenne pepper and the rats still keep going in there at night. I even started feeding a stray kitten in hopes it will try catching mice and rats but nothing seems to work. Any other ideas?

Just One Bite is a rodent poison that is sold at Feed Stores.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom