Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinager

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
I have seen many uses for Apple Cider Vinager listed here on BYC. What I'm wondering is can you list them into this post so that those of us not as familiar with it can learn more about it.

I know some use it as a worm preventative.

I know that some use it to help sick birds but, don't know why. What does it do for them?

What other uses are there with our birds?

Last edited:
We used it for years with our meat rabbits. Whenever we had a bout of pink eye in our babies, a few days of ACV in the water bottles cleared it right up. We started using it more frequently as an immunity booster and found an interesting side effect that now many farmers are finding out....

You have more female offspring. Its not an old wive's tale at all. The vinegar changes the pH of the body and I don't know all the particulars but have been reading lately that it really works in animals of all sizes.

I read one article in which a farmer used it on his sheep herd and had an 80% female lamb return with an overall increase in multiple births, quicker and stronger wool growth and less illness. They now order their ACV in bulk!
lol.png
Said this success has been repeated for several years now.

I recently had a broody hatch a batch of eggs and had 4:1 female to roo ratio on the hatch. I like those odds!

Last edited:
I heard if your bird dies you can bury it in a shallow (just 3-4" of dirt) grave and pour 3-4 ounces of ACV on the burial mound at sunset. Then, the next morning at sunrise it will dig itself out. But, make sure to have some feed and water nearby because it is likely to be thirsty and hungry upon reanimation.
One last thing, do NOT try this on dead humans, trust me! They don't come back the same...

I do wonder though, if the bottle has been heat sealed is it really still "viable"? Could be, but I just don't know. However, making your own is easy, if a little time consuming. If you can get unpasturized apple cider you can use that; otherwise juice some apples in your juicer, or grind them in a blender or food processor. If grinding, pour the pulp through a fine cloth (a clean pillow case is ideal, though it will stain it, so use an old one!). Put the juice in a wide mouthed jar, cover with muslin or cheesecloth (so air can get in, but bugs and dust can't). Leave it on the kitchen counter for a few months, and you will have lovely, fresh, LIVE apple cider vinegar. When I did this I did NOT get the "mother", but I did get vinegar. A cup of this vinegar in a jar of new juice will make it form faster. I have also used a cup of this "live" vinegar to help start a batch of red wine vinegar (Wine generally contains sulfites to keep it from forming vinegar; the "live" vinegar helps to combat that). Shake the jar occasionally to introduce air into the mix. (If you find you have made too much vinegar for personal or poultry use, it is also an excellent softener in the laundry, and window cleaner).

I don't know if it's been posted but I do know that it also works great in a squirt bottle with water to calm down aggressive roos. Works great with my leghorn "Henry". Now when he just sees that squirt bottle he calms down. Although it did discolor his feathers for awhile. Now I just squirt his feet and the little devil goes his own way.
Jacie

* It's been shown to boost calcium absorption from feed & treats-- that makes for nice eggs. That's about all I know for sure. It can be taken in water by people to help prevent osteoporosis for the same reason.

Back
Top Bottom