Re: BCM tumor on breast

Zanna

Songster
Oct 14, 2010
Jefferson, Oregon
We culled a 5 1/2 month old BCM roo this evening, he was far from SOP so needed to go. Upon beginning to skin him, found a good, 2" tumor/lump on his breast, did not cut into it, just disposed of the bird. He had been slightly limping for about 2 weeks, upon a thorough going over could find nothing wrong with the leg or foot (I asssumed he got into a spat, he is one of several roos coming of age). Today the limping was much more extreme and the other roosters were picking on him so we decided tonight was the night. He was always a very quiet, gentle roo, often in the coop when the others were free ranging but certainly seemed healthy, active and eating and drinking well. He was roached back and feathers on the middle toe (DQ's for BCM). I was quite fond of him due to his gentle nature. 50 other birds in my flock ranging from 3 months to 2 years old, all housed together in a community coop and they have the option to free range all daylight hours. No others limping and all seem happy/healthy. We have butched many birds over the years, dual purpose and meaties, never seen anything like this before. Could this have been Mareks?? Any other ideas??

Last edited:
I have a 6 1/2 Buff Orpington hen with exactly the same behavior and a large breast lump(left definitely not crop) and started limping. Had to take her out to the other chickens pecking her. Will be putting her down tomorrow. Did you ever fiqure out what it was. She has been vaccinated for Marek's

Back
Top Bottom