Re-homing

BEggRN

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
(North Atlanta) Georgia
Advice Wanted: I am genuinely looking for advice on how to find a good home for a roo. I understand and have no problem with people raising and eating their own food, but I didn't get my flock for that and have gotten fond of them. I have a Lavender Orpington that appears to be a he instead of a she and am wondering the best way to find a new home with a flock of girls for him to protect and love on. He's very attached to his "sisters".
received_600128820592936.jpeg
. Does anyone have recommendations for questions to ask? Do you charge a re-homing fee? What do people who are looking for young roosters usually want them for? Are their concerns worth ethics related to chicken breeding that I should be aware of?
Thank you!

When I re home a mean too, I pay them for gas, its my way of saying thank god for getting this too away from my girls. I prefer for him to be re homed, not eaten. So, I normally pay for their gas and give him away for free.

Is the bird crowing? What makes you think he is a rooster? That bird looks more like a pullet to me, but I may be wrong.

Once the bird leaves your hands, it is their responsibility and their options and choices. I would contact local feed store, poultry clubs, maybe 4-H clubs, but if someone agreed to take my rooster, I would not ask any questions.

Mrs K

Comb and wattle development are what is making me think he's a roo. I think he's around 9 weeks old, so no saddle feathers and no crowing yet. I think I'll give him some time to prove me wrong. I have all different breeds and no other Orpingtons except a baby, so I can still hope for a hen!
I've had lots of interest in him which has surprised me; including offers to buy him.

I certainly could be wrong, but to me, that bird has a very feminine head. I don't see the comb and wattles bright red, but rather pale colored, normal for a pullet.

I've had lots of interest in him which has surprised me; including offers to buy him.
There ya go then!!

I certainly could be wrong, but to me, that bird has a very feminine head. I don't see the comb and wattles bright red, but rather pale colored, normal for a pullet.
Nah, that much red at 9 weeks is a male....tho Lav Orps can be tricky so maybe wait until it crows @BEggRN .

Back
Top Bottom