Re-introducing hen and chicks to flock

Patsy1972

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2022
Good morning Chicken tenders! I have had my first full year of tending chickens and love it. My little bantam easter egger went broody with her sister. Neither was breaking out of it for about a month. A friend gave me some of her eggs for them to sit on because hers were not staying on the eggs. Out of the 9 eggs, 2 hatched. They are currently about a month old. The broody, Laverne, has been in a cage within the run with the chicks. She has been doing a fantastic job with them. Shirley her sister, stands by as a guard and support, does not leave the area. The rest of my flock are larger hens, barred rock, sex links, favorelle, and leg horns (total 11).
I think that i should start introducing her back into the flock with the chicks. They are all contained in a large enclosed run that is 30 feet long and 10 feet wide. The coop they are housed in is directly attached to the run, which is a 6ft long by 5 ft wide and 5 ft high. They all fit very comfortably and plenty of egg/nesting boxes (but they all use one, lol). Should I wait for the fluffs to get older, they are silkie/ frizzle mixes and will be getting bigger than the momma.
Thoughts? Advice?

So the other flock members have been able to see mom and chicks for the past 4 weeks even though they have been separated, is that correct? If so, by now the novelty of the new chicks should have worn off, and the other hens should be ignoring them. I would absolutely begin introducing your broody and chicks back into the flock. Supervise their interactions when you first do this to make sure the broody will protect the chicks if any flock members show undue interest or aggression.

So the other flock members have been able to see mom and chicks for the past 4 weeks even though they have been separated, is that correct? If so, by now the novelty of the new chicks should have worn off, and the other hens should be ignoring them. I would absolutely begin introducing your broody and chicks back into the flock. Supervise their interactions when you first do this to make sure the broody will protect the chicks if any flock members show undue interest or aggression.
Yes that is correct. Laverne and Shirley were both lower level hens, but still mingled with the flock. There is definitely a pecking order with the big barred girl. The other hens don't seem to be bothered or interested by the little ones. Laverne is very protective of them so I'm fairly certain things will go well. I will try it out this weekend and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom