Re-introducing rooster to flock

DiveJedi

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 3, 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Hey everyone, I have a 5 month old flock that recently beat my rooster up, pecked his back and tail feathers to bleeding. I have separated him for the past 2 week while the injuries have been healing up, keeping him in a 5x5 dog kennel inside of the run during the day and in a separate kennel at night. I have been trying to re-introduce him, now that things have healed up (no open wounds or scabs), to the flock a couple of the girls at a time but once we get 3 or 4 hens in with him they start going at his tail feathers/butt again. Has anyone had any success with re-introducing a wimpy rooster back into the flock, any suggestions?

Thanks!

*pictures are before and after

Attachments

• 20170918_212619.jpg
    20170918_212619.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170918_213324.jpg
    20170918_213324.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170918_213357.jpg
    20170918_213357.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170926_194201.jpg
    20170926_194201.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20170926_194210.jpg
    20170926_194210.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 10
How big is your set up?

Roosters will often let hens pick at them and won't stop it. I personally would keep him separated until he starts to feel more confident, and mature. It could take until next spring when his hormones will surge under increasing light. He should start to display through the fence eventually and the hens will be more interested in him.

I personally prefer gentle roosters over over-eager ones.

How big is your set up?

Roosters will often let hens pick at them and won't stop it. I personally would keep him separated until he starts to feel more confident, and mature. It could take until next spring when his hormones will surge under increasing light. He should start to display through the fence eventually and the hens will be more interested in him.

I personally prefer gentle roosters over over-eager ones.

I have a 21' x 12' run set-up. So far the set up with the 5x5 dog run has been working but bringing him into the garage every night, especially with the colder temperatures this time of year may not work all winter. Could he go back in with the hens overnight and be separated during the day? We want to do everything we can to keep him, he has a really good temperament.

You could try it, otherwise a smaller pen inside the coop can work well too. I have kept roosters long term in a 2x4 pen inside my shed.

a 5 month old flock that recently beat my rooster up
How many females do you have?
Are there older birds too?
Is the cockerel also 5 months old?
Crowding could be an issue, as could lack of animal protein.

Are there places for a picked on bird to escape?
The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is also a good thing to note.

Back
Top Bottom