Ready for the coop?

HorsebackBrony

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
My two chicks are four weeks old, very unhappy in the small plastic bin they are currently in. I know they'd be much happier in the coop. They are also loud and stinky, and we'd be glad to have them outside. It's in the 60s to low 70s at night, higher durring the day. They've started getting all their feathers. Do you think they'd be ready to go outside?

If it makes a difference, one is a Buff Orpington and one is either a Speckled Sussex or an Easter Egger, not sure witch.

Hey there- perhaps you can post pictures of them so we can see how feathered out they are - and we can also help you with the SS/EE question. You don't say, but are there other birds already in the coop? That will factor into when you will/won't want to move your little ones.

There are no other birds, so that wont be an issue. Ill see if I can get pics soon.

Last edited:
My two chicks are four weeks old, very unhappy in the small plastic bin they are currently in. I know they'd be much happier in the coop. They are also loud and stinky, and we'd be glad to have them outside. It's in the 60s to low 70s at night, higher durring the day. They've started getting all their feathers. Do you think they'd be ready to go outside?

If it makes a difference, one is a Buff Orpington and one is either a Speckled Sussex or an Easter Egger, not sure witch.
At four weeks i dont see any problem with them going outside, if it gets to chilly during the night you can always lay some straw down in one corner of the coop and have a heat lamp hanging over it to keep that spot warmer then the rest of the coop. I put my chicks in a grow up coop that is built inside my main coop and put my girls in it at 2 weeks old and i didnt have any issues but i live in Arizona so its nice and hot here lol. Pics would be awesome.
jumpy.gif

350/height/700[/IMG]

Also, there's that thingy (I'm sorry I don't knkw what its called) so obviously developing on the brown ones head. Is there any chance she might actually be a rooster?

My mom suggested I turn the heat lamp off, since its 69 degrees inside, to see what would happen. They started chirping loudly and huddling together, so maybe not.

My mom suggested I turn the heat lamp off, since its 69 degrees inside, to see what would happen. They started chirping loudly and huddling together, so maybe not.
Or maybe they just miss the light. It's been with them their whole life, smile. They look fully feathered to me. No bare spots on their breasts.
If you want to run a simple 60 watt light out to the coop on an extension cord to keep just a corner warm you can. But if it is as warm as
you say, they will be just fine. Give them extre deep chips in one corner for them to snuggle down into for security since they no longer
have a "night light".
Best,
Karen

How old are they? I put mine in the coop at 4 weeks. They just got to go into the run for the first time today at 6 weeks old. Only because we had to do some reconstruction on it. Still not done but good enough to keep them in for now. Going to continue to predator proof it with them in it. And no that thingy as you put doesn't mean that is a roo. Hens have them too!

Theyre four weeks old. The power went out today an the didn't seem cold, but they were confusd about why is was dark. I thinjk I'll try putting them outside.

Back
Top Bottom