Readying chickens for sale

I occasionally sell 4 month old pullets. What I do is put them in a large dog cage, then secure the dog cage in the back of my pick up truck. I bring along one or two cardboard boxes with holes pre cut into them, plus duck tape to seal the box, should the person choose to buy them. (They always do. I have never hd a no show, nor a person decide not to buy after all).

I never allow people I might sell to to know where I live. That is a huge security risk.

I arrange to meet them in the parking lot of my small town Tractor Supply.

It works for everybody. It is safer for them and for me. And finding the Tractor Supply store is alot easier than finding my very rural place.

BTW, I easily get $25 per hen for 4 month old pullets. They are worth it, because their new owner does not have to deal with babies (which some do not want to). Yet, they are assured of the full lifetime of eggs, and do not have to worry about somebody selling them a spent hen instead of an active layer. At 4 months, they are still a bit smaller than full grown so the buyer can see for themselves that this pullet is still a bit too young to lay.

I never allow people I might sell to to know where I live. That is a huge security risk.

I arrange to meet them in the parking lot of my small town Tractor Supply.

It works for everybody. It is safer for them and for me. And finding the Tractor Supply store is alot easier than finding my very rural place.
Oh, interesting. I did have one buyer ask to meet me at a parking lot somewhere, but I declined. After having dealt with so many no-shows, I was leery of hauling a box of chickens to a parking lot only to have to haul them back.

On the other hand, it is seriously disturbing to give strangers my home address and have them no-show.

Just curious, how many birds are you selling at one time? I'm selling pullets of the same age, two for $40. I wonder if people feel like $40 is not worth the drive.

Well it wouldn’t assure, but it would help. Because if somebody said “yeah meet me at
“-address-” tomorrow! And I had nothing to lose, I wouldn’t have to go. But i give you 20$ and I only get it back by meeting you then I will most likely go.

An example would be like the shopping carts where you have to put a coin in to get one. You’re less likely to steal the shopping cart because then you won’t get your coin back. Does that make sense?

And then if they still don’t come, then hey! At least u have 20$ or however much it would be.
Um. This still requires two meetings. One to give you $20 to agree to meet you tomorrow, and another to pick up the bird. Say they make arrangements to buy the bird on FB or CL. Why would they meet you twice?
I mean with cash app or PayPal and when they arrive you send it back but nvm it was a silly thought I guess

I mean with cash app or PayPal and when they arrive you send it back but nvm it was a silly thought I guess
It's not silly. I don't use any of those apps but I would be curious if it is something that people actually do. Like, wouldn't the buyer worry about being scammed?

It's not silly. I don't use any of those apps but I would be curious if it is something that people actually do. Like, wouldn't the buyer worry about being scammed?
That’s why u collect proof like u can take a pic with the buyers and post it to a site or something but anyways my idea is getting complicated soo I would probably just make a small coop to keep the chicken in

One idea I had was to set up a miniature "herding corral", like what stockmen use for sorting cattle. Put one-way pigeon trapdoors on the pens, so once the chicken gets in it can't come back out. Then it only takes a few minutes to herd a chicken into a pen when the buyer shows up. Not sure if this would work though.
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 10.09.22 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom