really BIG crop

I did read a bunch of threads, but there are SO MANY! I read that one months ago I think, but did not stumble across it this week.

I have been very lucky! My girl's crop looks good.
She has NOT had yogurt today, I think, to be on the safe side, I am going to try the ACV again.

Thanks Miss Prissy, you have been most helpful.. hopefully Aussie Chick can benefit from our chat here.

I hope both chickens are able to make a full recovery.
smile.png
Glad to help people when I can.

I found this info for Aussie chick about ACV.

Usage: Mix 1 teaspoon per quart of water. Watch birds reaction and make sure it is not too strong for them. As they need to drink water! Give as young as two weeks. A light spray over feed is also possible. DO NOT use in metal waterers the acid in ACV will cause corrosion.

Quote:
That is the doseage I use for everyday maintanence of healthy chicks.

For health issues I use the tbsp doseage and the 1/4 tsp in a syringe of water.

wow, thankyou for all that info ladies! My blinky is still alive this morning (your day is my night) so I am going to try the acv solution but I'm not sure how much a quart is as we work in the metric system!

got the online conversion chart thankyou, a quart is just under 1 litre. Have just seperated Blinky from joyce (i only have 2 chooks at the moment, my little fox terrrier decided that he likes to eat chicken and killed 2 of my girls about a month ago) Gave blinky the vinegar in the syringe and it made her vomit up slimy liquid all over me! Now she has a nice warm old blanket to sit on in a warm spot in her hen house. She has drank quite a bit of the water/vinegar solution and seems alert enough so i am now hopeful for her. How long before I should offer her the oil soaked bread? Also how long before you think that I should see some improvement in the size of her crop?

For the next 12 hours only give her water with raw apple cifer vinegar added and massage the crop periodically to see if you can get things moving. When massaging do not push the crop upwards. You don't want this yuck coming back up in her beak. She could asperate and it be fatal. (The apple cider vinegar will inhibity yeast and fungus and other bad bacteria from growing in the crop and causing the sour smell.

After 12 hours of the water and vinegar if she is still sour smelling you can give a tiny bit 1/4 tsp if mylanta for her acid ingestion that results from the sour crop. It should help alleviate some of her issues. Don't get carried away. This is a one time doseage.

After 12 hours of the water and vinegar [/b - After you make note of what is happening to the crop (it should be trying to empty) give her pieces of bread soaked with olive oil over the next 24 hours and make sure she has plenty of fresh water available. No other foods, no treats, no laying pellets or other chicken feed. Only oil soaked bread. Continue with a very gentle massage to the crop.

Hopefully you will start see some serious poops and the crop considerably more empty.

I hope she does well Aussiechick. I put my chook back out with her sisters. She is so happy. I hope I did not act too early. She is snuggled up wit Rusty our rooster tonight and happy to be back with them.

Back
Top Bottom