Really Hot Day and Chicks

TinaG

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Tomorrow is predicted to be our first really hot day of the summer - 102 F. My chicks are 1 week old and brooding outdoors in their coop. I've got a large Coke bottle in the freezer and am planning on putting that in the coop with them tomorrow in case the heat gets too much for them.

This is just up my alley. Last year when we got our first chicks, we where in the middle of the hottest 3 months in Wisconsin history. At one point we had 4 -2 liter bottles with frozen water in them. We had spare ones to change out. The other thing I did was hang a ice bottle it front of a fan and had it blowing over the top of the brooder box. Not on them but over the top of the box. Tthey all survived but it was a struggle. I have heard of others putting them in the bathtub in the house to help keep them from heat stroke. Good luck.

Looks like I mis-heard the forecast. It's Tues, Wed and Thursday that are forecast for 100-102 F. You know, I love the 65 F winters in South Texas, but two or three months of upper 90's to 110 F sure does get to be a real trial. I feel like the chicks. As I get older it's harder to take really hot weather.

Back
Top Bottom