Recommendations: Best locks for keeping out raccoons?

AsanumaGardens

Songster
5 Years
Sep 1, 2017
Utah
We have some tenacious raccoons in our area, and are trying to keep that in mind as we finish our new coop. Our concern is that we have three sets of two vertical doors which need a lock that wont come apart if both doors are pulled out simultaneously.

What has worked best for y'all?

EDIT: SCROLL DOWN FOR PICTURES

Last edited:
raccoons need a lock
Raccoons are a major problem in my area. I have had good luck with just a lock hasp and this type of snap. The snaps and hasp are installed at waist hight. The height may be a part of the deterrent as well.

I may have some mentally challenged raccoons however.

Snaps.jpe
Finger X.jpe

Last edited:
Our concern is that we have three sets of two vertical doors which need a lock that wont come apart if both doors are pulled out simultaneously.
Might best to latch both doors...one with simple barrel latches, top and bottom, on the inside.

Pics of doors might garner more viable suggestions.

Might best to latch both doors...one with simple barrel latches, top and bottom, on the inside.

Pics of doors might garner more viable suggestions.

That’s a great suggestion. That would hold the one door secured so the other would hold tighter to it. One thing about double doors like that, when they are latched together there is usually some play to them if they are pulled. Even though they stay attached, there might be enough wiggle room for a small coon to squeeze in.

Back
Top Bottom