Recovering from predator attack

BaileyP

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
Our girl Waffles was attacked by what we suspect was a raccoon this evening and I’m looking for some advice but also a hug because this has been one of the hardest nights of my life.

After an hour of frantic phone calls to every vet possible, we finally found a livestock vet who was able to give her some stitches, antibiotic, and pain meds. We’re home now and she’s resting in a small dog crate with fresh water. Her throat had some major damage and the vet seemed to think it was only muscle damage but she is breathing with her mouth open and wheezing. We can’t yet tell if she can drink or eat properly because she’s in too much shock to pay the water any attention.

I’ll be calling our exotic vet first thing Monday (this is the earliest anybody is going to be able to see her from what we can tell) but has anyone gone through this? I’m looking for a dash of hope and I’m worried she won’t make it through the night. If she isn’t interested in drinking will she be ok without water until a vet can see her Monday?

I’m hoping someone has a story of their duck bouncing back from trauma like this. Or if anyone knows a vet near Charlotte NC that could see her on a Sunday, please let me know.

Our girl Waffles was attacked by what we suspect was a raccoon this evening and I’m looking for some advice but also a hug because this has been one of the hardest nights of my life.

After an hour of frantic phone calls to every vet possible, we finally found a livestock vet who was able to give her some stitches, antibiotic, and pain meds. We’re home now and she’s resting in a small dog crate with fresh water. Her throat had some major damage and the vet seemed to think it was only muscle damage but she is breathing with her mouth open and wheezing. We can’t yet tell if she can drink or eat properly because she’s in too much shock to pay the water any attention.

I’ll be calling our exotic vet first thing Monday (this is the earliest anybody is going to be able to see her from what we can tell) but has anyone gone through this? I’m looking for a dash of hope and I’m worried she won’t make it through the night. If she isn’t interested in drinking will she be ok without water until a vet can see her Monday?

I’m hoping someone has a story of their duck bouncing back from trauma like this. Or if anyone knows a vet near Charlotte NC that could see her on a Sunday, please let me know.
I've THANKFULLY been lucky enough to not have to deal with this yet, but I have read many threads where birds who seemed too far gone to save with god awful injuries made it.

She is probably in shock. I'm not sure she will be interested in much tonight.

@Miss Lydia
@Quatie
@shawluvsbirds

How is she doing this morning @BaileyP ? It is amazing how they can come through something as horrific as a predator attack. I sure hope your ducks does too. I live in Western NC no vets close will see poultry.
She’s mostly the same, I think the pain meds have her pretty loopy, she’s just been standing in her cage looking around all night. Luckily we had the antibiotic given to her last night and the vet sent us home with another injection to give her today until we can see a vet tomorrow.

My biggest concern is her ability to drink water so I’ll be keeping an eye on that and hoping to see her take a sip. I’m definitely worried the damage has affected her eating and drinking but I don’t think we’ll know for sure until the vet tomorrow.

Thank you for checking in!

Update: Waffles has laid an egg which seems like a good sign but I'm still worried about her drinking and breathing. I have a feeling her nostrils are pretty clogged from blood and throw-up and I'd like to help her clean them out. The way she's behaving on these pain meds I don't think she's able to dunk her own head anytime soon. I was thinking a gentle swipe with warm water on a q-tip. Any other suggestions?

So sorry to hear about your duck. Usually when they have trouble drinking, I would recommend using the tube feeding method to get fluids in them. But if she has any damage to her throat it could make it worse. You may want to ask your vet about that on Monday. You may want to lay off the pain meds and see if that effects her behavior. A lot of ducks have made it through some really horrendous attacks without pain meds. Her drinking is more important than pain management. You can try dripping Gatorade, Pedialyte or sugar water along the edge of her beak. This is usually what is done for ducklings.

As for her nares, there is not a whole lot you can do. I would try putting her beak in some deeper water. I normally would probably recommend putting her in a luke warm bath to try and let her clean her nares. And maybe sitting in a bath may allow her to drink and clean her nares. You would just need to keep an eye on her and keep the wound clean.

@Quatie if there are stitches would it still be okay for her to be in the bath?

Dribbling some along her bill though might get her to take some water in. Not even sure getting her to dunk her head would be a good idea while on pain meds she may aspirate.

@Quatie if there are stitches would it still be okay for her to be in the bath?

Dribbling some along her bill though might get her to take some water in. Not even sure getting her to dunk her head would be a good idea while on pain meds she may aspirate.
Not entirely sure especially not sure where the stitches are. But I think her getting hydrated is more important than if the stitches get wet. But there is definitely a risk. Does the risk of dying from dehydration out weights the other risks? I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom